Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DA Code SS Performer Pick Up  (Read 6046 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
DA Code SS Performer Pick Up
« on: September 18, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
Frame,  SS Table,  Charcoal Bucket and ash sweeps are in by far the best shape of any SS Performer I've picked up.  It's gas tube is free of any rust but the red igniter button is missing and there's a hole in the back of the bowl that's not very noticeable but definitely there. Also git a bag of Charcoal,  a set of those old school Charcoal wire baskets,  a tarp and a couple grill brushes.  I think the small hole in the back of the bowl would only affect a long smoke session.

Very very clean and of the four green Performers I've picked up off CL,  thus one is distinctively more of a lighter brighter green than the darker green ones I've found before.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

msuiceman

• Smokey Joe
Re: DA Code SS Performer Pick Up
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm jealous. A green performer is "on the list".

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »
It wasn't really on my list as I'd just recently sold one but it came up 25 minutes away and looked to be in great condition from the pictures so I couldn't pass it up.  It will probably get flipped.  I'm patiently waiting for a 3rd or 4th Gen of color to show up at the right price.  I figure in a month or two the pickings should be ripe.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
Nice find. I see what you mean about the shade of green. Def different than mine and what I usually see.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:40:24 AM »
Are the old school Charcoal Baskets usable if they're all rusted?  This Performer came with a set-

The Gas Assist works but the button is missing.  Need to turn on the gas and light it with a long stick lighter.  I ordered a new igniter button off Amazon for $3 and change

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »
@captjoe06 - I hit my old wire charcoal baskets with a wire brush, just to knock off the heavy surface rust. They will be fine to use. That color green is really unique.  I would describe it as a Christmas Ornament green.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 06:09:05 AM »
@captjoe06 - I hit my old wire charcoal baskets with a wire brush, just to knock off the heavy surface rust. They will be fine to use. That color green is really unique.  I would describe it as a Christmas Ornament green.
Yeah,  for as many greens I've come across I haven't seen one this bright. I wonder what color it was in the marketing materials.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »
Nice score.  That sucker is bright!  It will be interesting to see if it gets darker when hot.  How big is the hole in the kettle?  Big enough to make it into a spot to put probes through it with a grommet or something similar?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
Nice score.  That sucker is bright!  It will be interesting to see if it gets darker when hot.  How big is the hole in the kettle?  Big enough to make it into a spot to put probes through it with a grommet or something similar?
The hole is strange and I cant figure out what caused it because the rest of the kettle and frame are rock solid, even the wheel axle's are free of rust.

It's located on the bowl between one of the welds that would hold the charcoal grate tabs.  It's located on the back side of the unit. So the long skinny piece of metal which is the tab in the inside of the bowl mostly covers the hole up but it's in an awkward place that couldn't be covered up.  I'll take a photo.

I've seen a lot of pristine SS Performers the WKC members own but I haven't seen any around my area that have such solid frames and without rust. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
Here are some pics.  Like I said,  it's rust free and solid all over except this one spot.  Strange.

Ash sweeps and everything else are near perfect.  Just the one hole and missing igniter button (which is coming from Amazon tomorrow) Gas assist fired right up with a big tube lighter first try.

Outside view of the hole-

Inside view-

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
Looks like advanced stage of grate tab cancer.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
The odd green makes this a really cool find, shame about the hole though...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »
A lil clean up-

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
I've got the exact same hole at the grate tab on an 18" kettle that I picked up for free last night. How do you plan on repairing that or are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
I'm hoping to flip it as I really want a 3rd or 4th Gen.  I think for the price I'm asking and the condition it's in other than the hole,  it's still a good value to someone