Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nightmare turns to happy ending  (Read 5713 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Nightmare turns to happy ending
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »
It appears to me that when these types of issues are posted, they are almost always on colored kettles.

Is it an illusion, or does the black somehow bond/hold up better?  I put my WSMs through every abuse you can imagine and never had a finish issue, even on the 15+ year old one I bought used.  My OTS isn't exactly babied and isn't showing to be any worse for wear either.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »
I'm glad everything worked out for you. It's always better with a happy ending.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Nightmare turns to happy ending
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »
Well I'm just going to say it !

This version of the MT is cheesy. I use my ivory for catering and I have to tighten the handle all the time despite upgrading to SS hardware . The legs are super thin walled and the slightest impact to the side of one would likely buckle the leg and dump the kettle. The porcelain is ok , mine had black specks in places that you can feel and installing the push button legs cost me porcelain as well. It does cook as good as any Weber and it's beautiful to look at but for the price I was underwhelmed with the quality  and that's why I put mine in the catering lineup. It's clean to look at and I won't be heartbroken if it gets dinged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:21:02 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »
I will *NOT* cook on this kettle. I will just put it in a corner and admire it day in and day out and cook on my Home Depot bought 22.5" Black OTG. What a beauty!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
I will *NOT* cook on this kettle. I will just put it in a corner and admire it day in and day out and cook on my Home Depot bought 22.5" Black OTG. What a beauty!

I'm considering doing the same

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me with my green MT.  With a new replacement lid, I had no issues so far.  I use  charcoal holder or coals to the side without touching the inside bowl. No issues so far.  You can cook on it fine no problem.

With special color kettles like these, it is a small price to pay to have few odd chips happen.  One thing for sure, Weber would gladly send you a replacement at your request anyways. So it is all good.   

Well I'm just going to say it !

This version of the MT is cheesy. I use my ivory for catering and I have to tighten the handle all the time despite upgrading to SS hardware . The legs are super thin walled and the slightest impact to the side of one would likely buckle the leg and dump the kettle. The porcelain is ok , mine had black specks in places that you can feel and installing the push button legs cost me porcelain as well. It does cook as good as any Weber and it's beautiful to look at but for the price I was underwhelmed with the quality  and that's why I put mine in the catering lineup. It's clean to look at and I won't be heartbroken if it gets dinged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for other parts like legs and triangle, all new kettles are thinner than older 70's kettle parts.  Quality wise, all modern kettles are the same.  MT do have longer legs so maybe with good impact they are more prone to buckling.  I don't use mine the way you do, so I don't know under extreme conditions.  I have moved mine around few times and have never felt it wasn't stable and sturdy.  As for nut backing out on the handle, drop of loctite on the bolt thread will stop it from backing out. Better than lock washer I mentioned previously.

I think with price cheaper than reg. black Master touch (in Canada anyways), IMO, Special Edition MT represents tremendous value.  Who knows, it may one day become a collectors item. :)

@ mcgolden- It looks beautiful with those handles.  You do what you want,but don't be afraid to cook on it.  Besides, few heat cycles by cooking on it and checking for other porcelain popping issue will be good idea anyways.  You will get more satisfaction out of cooking and food will taste better on this than cooking on Reg. OTG.  At least, I think so.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:19:00 AM by greenweb »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
Well, I've been using my copper performer on a regular basis over the past 5 months and have not have issues with porcelain chipping. When I put it together, I used the plastic tool that Weber supplied. I only tightened enough so that the handle felt snug with no wobble. Now, I wonder if using their tool prevents over tightening compared to using a socket or a wrench.

Then again, there may be enamel issues as well or even hardware issues with washers & stuff due to the manufacturing process.

There are so many variables, but in the end, it's good to see Weber step up and make it right.

TonyUK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 01:44:44 AM »
I also had issues with the porcelain cracking when installing the taco style handle on a coloured kettle lid. Effing annoying!

Since then I have  installed a heat resistant fibre washer between the handle and lid, & also did the same on the inside of the lid on my other kettles.
It allows you to snug up the nut that wee bit more, to prevent handle-wobble and porcelain cracking.

I hate those stupid plastic wrenches that are supplied to assemble the grill. I've scraped a knuckle of two using them. I understand they are supposed to round off so you don't over-tighten the nut. But still....they're shit!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:36:30 AM by TonyUK »

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 04:24:29 AM »
I also had issues with the porcelain cracking when installing the taco style handle on a coloured kettle lid. Effing annoying!

Since then I have  installed a heat resistant fibre washer between the handle and lid, & also did the same on the inside of the lid on my other kettles.
It allows you to snug up the nut that wee bit more, to prevent handle-wobble and porcelain cracking.

I hate those stupid plastic wrenches that are supplied to assemble to grill. I've scraped a knuckle of two using them. I understand they are supposed to round off so you don't over-tighten the nut. But still.

Where did you get the heat resistant washers?

TonyUK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 04:41:20 AM »
mcg.

They are widely available online. Google Heat Resistant Fibre Washers.

or

You can get exhaust manifold gasket material for motorcycles and cut out your own.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 05:08:29 AM »
I often wonder if corporate folks from weber monitor this forum for potential issues and successes with Thier product and make notes...

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 05:47:36 AM »

I often wonder if corporate folks from weber monitor this forum for potential issues and successes with Thier product and make notes...

Jeff

I think if this club existed several years ago then sure. When it was all made here in the USA. Now I think they are too concerned with cheaper manufacturing. My opinion based on what I've read about the newer kettles.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »

I think if this club existed several years ago then sure. When it was all made here in the USA. Now I think they are too concerned with cheaper manufacturing. My opinion based on what I've read about the newer kettles.

Quote #1: You can pretty much take that to the bank!

Quote #2: Still among the best value products from an American company - bar none. Concerned about cheaper manufacturing? Sure - who isn't! Newer kettles? Like the Master Touch perhaps? Have you seen the Summit? Some of the best Weber products ever. My opinion based on what I cook on. 

Retired

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »
Very true @56MPG. Please don't misunderstand. I'm not bashing Weber. I still think they are the best damn grills on the market. Hands down beats anything else out there. I just think like most things these days, they don't make them like they used to. I got an A code recently and it just feels like a more solid kettle than the new ones in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »
 You guys scared the hell  out of me, so I went to check on my Ivory.
All good, still unmarked.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.