Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dazed and Confused, help please.  (Read 3788 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Dazed and Confused, help please.
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but I could not find a lot on the subject. I believe most of us agree KBB produces a bad smelling white smoke when lit. Why and what is that? Does this phenomenon only happen with KBB?  Because of this bad smoke I always wait until the charcoal is fully ashed over before starting to a cook or even adding to a cook.  It is a hassle having to load and wait for the chimney every time I need to add fuel, it would be much easier to just throw some charcoal on top. I've noticed that some do use KBB with a snake or minion and do not complain about a bad taste in their food.  How is this possible? The one time I added unlit KBB to a cook it completely ruined the taste for me.  Is there something magical that happens with the snake method that doesn’t occur when just adding to a lit pile?  Am I doing something wrong or is it all in my head?
May The Smoke Be With You!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Dazed and Confused, help please.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
The snake method allows the KBB to preheat before starting to burn. There was a thread where this was discussed. Here is the KBB ingredient list I saved from the thread:

My screenshot is dated 4-28-16. Sorry, don't have time to search for thread atm (dang work).
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:34:39 AM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Mac

• Smokey Joe
Re: Dazed and Confused, help please.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »
To varying degrees you'll get the white smoke on start up with any briquettes.  Lump starts a lot cleaner, so I use that for my unlit minion or snake coals.  Get some lump and you can just throw it on top of already lit coals, like you mentioned.
SJS, 14 WSM, 22 OKP

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »
All people who get hyper worried about Kingsford Blue Bag need to realize who Harry Soo is.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/

He has won many bbq comps and uses Kingsford BB exclusively. He also used WSM's exclusively but that is off topic.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »
My KBB does not emit a white smoke when lit. It's blue when first lit and the smell clears my sinus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
Maybe you just don't like that smell, it doesn't bother me....I do love Zeppelin though, listening to How the West was Won..right now!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
The snake method allows the KBB to preheat before starting to burn. There was a thread where this was discussed. Here is the KBB ingredient list I saved from the thread:

My screenshot is dated 4-28-16. Sorry, don't have time to search for thread atm (dang work).
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the ingredient list.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Maybe you just don't like that smell, it doesn't bother me....I do love Zeppelin though, listening to How the West was Won..right now!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true. lol

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »
Was enjoying that and Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp....the whole thing is great.  I'm eagerly awaiting the complete BBC sessions too.....I can't fucking wait

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 02:15:54 PM »
I think the lack of smoke in a snake/minion is because of preheating.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
I don't think the smoke is nasty and it isn't white from Stubb's. Smells good when lighting. I hate how lump crackles and pops. Also hate when some not fully carbonized pieces light.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
if you heat kingsford in an oven, it will emit that white smoke

it smells terrible and tastes even worse.

Not everyone can taste it though, it seems.
KBB is fine, as long as you treat it right.

My rules:
- never add fresh unlit KBB to a cooker that has food in it
- never add food to a KBB fueld pit until the white smoke is gone (usually takes about 40 minutes with minion method)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
My rules are better; #1  Never use Kingsford.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 04:24:21 AM »
What's the verdict on Stubbs?  I am finishing off my last couple of bags of KBB I bought bulk the last sale and see Stubbs is on sale this weekend at Lowes. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 04:34:08 AM »
As I've said on other threads. I think it will change your life. But as much as you can now. If you don't like it you can ship it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.