Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CL Redhead has new home.  (Read 3511 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
CL Redhead has new home.
« on: August 18, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »
So it ended that I had to drive up to Watsonville to pick up fruit, I work for a company that makes pies and preserves, and I would be going right through Salinas. There was a Red 22 listed for sale there that had been of interest to a couple guys here. Well, I DID pick it up, and here she is. Sorry guys but I don't believe it would be worth whatever shipping might had been.  Now, my question is, would I be taken to the pit and spit roasted if I cut the lid and turned her into a full time pizza cooker? That way I would not have to worry about replacing the dampers and it would have a purpose! what say ye? It would also mean I would have an ash pan, twist on, a triangle and a set of legs for sale or for future uses...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157671692510372
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:44:30 PM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: CL Redhead has new home.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Wouldn't you just get some shitty black one for that?  Some mid 90's?  Why would you wreck a red head besides they make pizza ovens.....I would sell that and use the modey to go buy an oven if you don't care about it....I think your failing on all three R's.....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:01:37 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:36:21 PM »
@zavod44 , ouch, but thank you for your input.. and I do care about it. Thats why i'm asking.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »

PM message sent @varekai with a possible solution.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »
And @zavod44 , I DO have a newer lid that I had cut to make a pizza cooker, was just looking to do a version 2.0 so to speak. Have some new ideas. And I assumed that what I was wanting to do was "forbidden", I had "rescued" it in hopes to give it to a friend because his "weber" is a square one and rusted through... I will be giving him my original kettle that started this obsession, it will give him a good solid foundation to start on.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
Son, you're in a dark place.  As a brother I'm going to have to force an intervention and put you on a five step program.

First, please, please put the angle grinder down and step away from that beautiful Red lid.

Second, take ten deep breaths. 

Third, either reach out to your WKC brothers and try and find period correct bottom vents or call Weber and get some current models.

Fourth, ask @zavod44 for forgiveness and hope he allows you to order a replacement top handle.

Finally, complete the RRR and post a cook, ANYTHING but pizza, on this amazing piece of Weber history.

I know this all probably hard to hear, but you're not yourself.  This is for your own good.  Everyone's own good!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:06 PM »
@Russell C. , you got me laughing and I just finished looking at all 4 pages of the "before and after" thread.
So , first, I never did grab the grinder, I did hit the bowl and lid with a razor blade for a bit.
Second, i did breathe, and had dinner
third, I WILL be looking for bowl dampers
fourth, @zavod44 , Please, your forgiveness i beg(and Yea, i'm gonna need a handle)
and Finally, I will do it and I will cook on it.... and no, nothing with a crust!
LOL  Thanks Guys!!!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »
@Russell C. , you got me laughing and I just finished looking at all 4 pages of the "before and after" thread.
So , first, I never did grab the grinder, I did hit the bowl and lid with a razor blade for a bit.
Second, i did breathe, and had dinner
third, I WILL be looking for bowl dampers
fourth, @zavod44 , Please, your forgiveness i beg(and Yea, i'm gonna need a handle)
and Finally, I will do it and I will cook on it.... and no, nothing with a crust!
LOL  Thanks Guys!!!
Good to hear.  The truth is never easy to hear and the road to redemption can be rocky.  Please consider me now, and always your sponsor.  [emoji41]

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
@Russell C.  ROFL, OK, Thanks....

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:25:39 PM »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 03:41:41 AM »
:^)  I have an awesome handle for that.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 03:49:49 AM »
@varekai I'm glad you got the redhead and I'm even more happy that you aren't cutting it up! Someday I will have my red MBH but this wasn't it. Take care and post to that awesome before and after thread. Can't wait to see those pics. Awesome score.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 05:58:23 AM »
Wow, that was close...

That's a beautiful kettle and still in great shape, it'll restore nicely. I've a much worse off redhead that could be a good candidate for a chop job pizza oven if you want to trade...

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 06:33:03 AM »
@varekai if you're passing through Darin, I think I've got some vents you can use. Not necessarily period correct, but they should work.
Dude, relax your chicken.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
So it ended that I had to drive up to Watsonville to pick up fruit, I work for a company that makes pies and preserves, and I would be going right through Salinas. There was a Red 22 listed for sale there that had been of interest to a couple guys here. Well, I DID pick it up, and here she is. Sorry guys but I don't believe it would be worth whatever shipping might had been.  Now, my question is, would I be taken to the pit and spit roasted if I cut the lid and turned her into a full time pizza cooker? That way I would not have to worry about replacing the dampers and it would have a purpose! what say ye? It would also mean I would have an ash pan, twist on, a triangle and a set of legs for sale or for future uses...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157671692510372

I say GO FOR IT!!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!