Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ['fridge clean-out] tartar sauce & Sriracha chicken wings  (Read 1356 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
['fridge clean-out] tartar sauce & Sriracha chicken wings
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
I couldn't corroborate any sort of related recipe online, not even with mayonnaise, a main part of tartar sauce. So what, I can balance it with something spicy.

This is what I did. Some of the best wings I've had! I ate them ALL. An awesome combo of mellow/spicy.

3lbs frozen wings, kept frozen ...

about 3/4 cup tartar sauce
about 1/4 cup Sriracha (the real thing, i.e. "red rooster")
about 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce (because you can do better than simply make "spicy tartar sauce")

stir, set it aside and let it come to room temp

I lit a chimney of lump and dumped into charcoal baskets on opposite sides. The wings filled up the rectangular area between. So yes, cooked frozen and naked. Let's say 20 mins, flip, 20 mins, flip ... sauced, flipped, sauced and with just a minute directly over the coals at the end. This last step was basically necessary but I wanted to sauce them a third instance without waiting for it cook down.

About an hour, maybe more, on the grill? This is why I can't cook for others, I never pay attention to how long something takes.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Re: ['fridge clean-out] tartar sauce & Sriracha chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
Good looking cook!
May The Smoke Be With You!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:16:02 AM »
Sticky goodness! Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:52:58 AM »
Great - a full work day ahead of me yet and now I'm craving wings and beer.  Awesome!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
I bet the flavor was rich from the mayo? That's an interesting idea , I use mayo for a fat instead of butter on garlic bread , people think I'm nuts but it works . Might have to try these wings !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »
That seems like a really weird sauce to me but I trust your saying it was good.  I'll give it an experimental run on a few wings the next time I'm making a batch.  I also have not tried frozen wings yet...adding that to my to do list!  Nice cook ATS!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:00:23 AM »
@Idahawk funny you should mention butter; it was a butter-based recipe I saw online for wings that began my journey. Got ingredients together ... took out the butter carton (the kind that holds 4 sticks) ... and the dang carton was empty.

THOSE MEDDLING KIDS!

The mayo angle was just by happenstance. I wasn't even thinking of the grease aspect but of course it makes sense.

Been a bizarre and not all that pleasant week here. These wings were a surprise highlight however!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
Now, those look awesome.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.