Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I think 1977?  (Read 1623 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
I think 1977?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
That's my interpretation based on the age guide.

Non-embossed lid vent. Plastic wheels. Double tab bottom vents. Two-rivet wooden lid handle with metal bowl handles. Flat twist-on ash pan

Anyone confirm or deny? What other clues are there?

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: I think 1977?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
76/77 - the only years with that vent style. My favorite of all the vintage vents!
Retired

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
Yeah, I went with '77 because of the plastic wheels.

This thing is pretty rough. Bent lid handle. Leg sockets are rusty, but still attached. Wheels are falling apart. Triangle is heavily rusted. Back bowl handle is bent almost flat to the bowl. Bowl vents are really loose - but they turn easily! Somebody dripped some white paint on the lid.

I'm not sure if the lid vent was poorly stamped, or it's worn over the years, but you can't even see most of the "W" part of "Weber."

Troy

• Statesman

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:49:48 AM »
Hey Troy the article you linked to for the '76 vent has me scratching my head as it looks to be showing
a '75 or earlier vent. It shows a small round tab BAR-B-Q KETTLE vent which should be the '71 - '75
vent (see # 5 below ).
From what I can see on the vent chart the '76 - '77  (see # 6 below ) has the flat scribed Weber with the
large copyright R in a circle  Which is right the image in the article or the vent guide as I have been using
the vent guide to ID the older kettles that I have found as I now have two '71 - '75 cookers..

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:52:13 AM »
It's been three years more or less since I made this chart, and we've learned a lot since then, I plan to update this soon, so don't take this version as gospel. For instance, the first vents were blank, and the 76/77 years will be divided. Might be a few other minor tweaks to make as well. We should now have photos of every vent so I'll also make up a poster using actual vents, in addition to this type. Stay tuned, and be patient.

Marty
Retired

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 03:18:48 AM »
Hi Marty, so then the image for the '76 info is correct and there is overlap with the '71 - '75 vents? Good to know
and I look forward to the new and improved vent chart. Thanks for the heads up..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 05:25:14 AM »
We'll put our heads together and sort it out. Will also include a photo of every vent type in addition to the drawing. As with many of these details, it's a work in progress and is subject to change based on new discoveries. I can think of two or three changes/additions since 2013 alone. I plan to begin the update this weekend.
Retired

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
The two urls I provided have the most correct information we have, unless @Craig has been holding out.

The graphic is out of date.