Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: regular J-B Weld vs High Heat J-B Weld  (Read 5593 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
regular J-B Weld vs High Heat J-B Weld
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:17:27 AM »
On their site, they say the regular stuff is resistant up to 500 degrees F constant (or up to 600 for a few minutes, like 10 mins). The "high heat version" is resistant up to 450 constant. (I've never seen a temporary heat rating for the high heat version.)

So ... I called them up and got clarification about the apparent (to me, at least) discrepancy. Here it is, from J-B Weld Customer Service:

The High Heat version is the highest-heat stuff available from them as a PUTTY, whereas the regular J-B Weld "we all know" is functionally just as good with regard to heat resistance if you want instead something easier to spread.

... And there are differences in cure times; the high heat putty cures much faster, but for the sake of comparisons here let's assume you have plenty of time to wait for curing so long as the fix works as you intend.

... And there are differences in PSI strength, although the company doesn't say what happens to either product as it approaches the heat limit--unfortunately they don't publish the curves. We do know they'll both turn into goo when too hot, or even smoke/burn up, but they don't say what happens to the PSI strength when hot-but-not-hot-enough-to-melt.

For example, the high heat PSI rating is ~800 and regular J-B Weld is more like ~3900, but at what temperatures? 400 degrees F inside a kettle is easy to achieve, below the melt point of either, but what's the strength there? That could come into play for hot leg sockets.

Applications:

One of my 26 flat tops, ('90s, not "vintage") has both of its metal bowl handles a bit more loose than they should be. Not about to fall off, but can be "bent" or moved a little by hand, you know? There's no damage to them; the welds are just kinda shitty probably. And rusty now. I want to sandpaper and then slather the connection points with regular J-B Weld. I wish the metal inside the bowl at these areas was thicker.

I have an 18 with slightly loose leg sockets and a very small hole (1/8" or smaller, almost a pinhole) in the bottom of the bowl. Based on what I was told today, I'm not sure the high heat version of J-B has advantages here either.

Your thoughts?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: regular J-B Weld vs High Heat J-B Weld
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:24 AM »
I tried it...it failed

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
I used to work at a coal fired power plant and we made temporary repairs to pipes that were pretty damn hot with a product from Devcon. I don't remember which one. I would also have to research the health consequences to breathing fumes and if I wanted to use it near food.

Did a search for high temp epoxy and found this. Looks like the special offer page says a tube will cost you $40. Again, no idea if it should be used anywhere food. They also have some pity under Repair Materials.

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_adhesive.htm

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:14:25 AM »
I tried it...it failed

For handles? Leg sockets?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
I tried it...it failed

For handles? Leg sockets?

yes

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »
Dang.

Well, on the 26 bowl handles I tried the high heat variety. They were slightly "bent up," I leveled them (easily) and slathered some on, pushing into the cracks around where it meets the bowl as best I could. We'll see if it holds.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke -  Maybe if it doesn't work you can just super magnetize the handles or the entire kettle so the handles will still hang on if the welds come loose!  LOL

Make a magnet out of anything   ;D
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
Yeah that was really instructive, Mike ...

So anyway, my plan is to include a 3rd wheel, for easy rolling, no lifting using the handles actually. But that's all part of a separate thing, with longer legs etc. At any rate, the bowl handles never came OFF, I just wanted to shore them up a bit. Worse case, way down the road, they could be drilled and bolted I suppose.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke  I used reg j- b weld on popped porcelain  on the bowl the lower patch failed due to heat from the charcoal grate the upper held near the cooking grate /on the lid I did a few patches from chipped porcelain they held also but the paint I used didn't do as well

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »
Personally I always bolt, out rivet, it won't fail, it's clean.  A mechanical lock is solid.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »
I used the high-heat JB in THIS RRR.

Still holding up … And, I cooked on this little guy a lot after the full restore.  The high-heat paint … Did not hold up so much.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
Here's a porcelain repair that I did...
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weber-porcelain-repair/
Works OK for as a filler, but for a structural repair.....meh.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
Yep, saw yours Mark. Luckily mine's not that bad at all although I did discover one leg socket isn't as strong as the other two. So it might get some slathered on it tomorrow. Touching the handles tonight I can tell they are stiff again; hopefully they'll hold for as much I need them to, which won't be much now.

DD-- that was an amazing restore on that WSM lid. I would have never thought to use JB as a filler like that, but it makes sense if you can get it smoothed in. My handle job is really clunky but hopefully after some high heat glossy BBQ paint it won't look too ghetto.