Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Getting my cast iron on.  (Read 3979 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Getting my cast iron on.
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »

I have been meaning to get a cast iron skillet to use to get more uniformed sear on steaks and to improve my burger cooking this summer.

We picked up some great burgers from a local butcher who serves many of the top restaurants in the area. I was going to get a basic 10 or 12 inch skillet but saw this on the same shelf:

I wanted to make sure it would fit my kettle so I walked it over to the grill section and snagged a 22" cooking grate for a test fit and it was a perfect fit with way more space for burgers.

Since tonight was a late start I threw it on the  Genesis and did some burgers and grilled onions. Sorry no photos but they tasted phenomenal. Can't wait to do a reverse sear on a steak on this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Getting my cast iron on.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
I have the same one and love it.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
I never gave them a second thought. My bride had bought that same one a few years ago for the stove. She didn't like it so it sits in the basement. I should probably go blow the dust off it and see if fits. Tfs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:02:49 AM »
Thanks for the idea! I have one but have only cooked bacon on the grill and pancakes on the stove..neither of which really work.

When cooking bacon quite a bit of grease pools up and it tedious to deal with. Cooking pancakes on the stove doesn't work mostly due to uneven heating.

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
We have one of these too.  We've used it for cooking breakfast on the stove top or double propane burner at camp.  The trick to get a good cook  on the stove is to allow them to warm up slowly.  Always a challenge when the kiddos are wanting their breakfast right away.

I decided to try out the Ballistic griddle from Craycort.  Did my first smash burger cook last night......crust on the patties was incredible. 

Whit

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
We have one of these too.  We've used it for cooking breakfast on the stove top or double propane burner at camp.  The trick to get a good cook  on the stove is to allow them to warm up slowly.  Always a challenge when the kiddos are wanting their breakfast right away.

I decided to try out the Ballistic griddle from Craycort.  Did my first smash burger cook last night......crust on the patties was incredible. 

Whit

I agree warming up slowly is important. Before I stick cast iron on the grill I typically preheat in the oven. I have a super big heavy cast iron wok and that thing takes forever to heat up on the grill without being preheated!
Hotty Toddy!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »
Got one years ago. Not sure we still have it. I never learned how to use it. Cook on one side ... lose all seasoning on the underside because it gets burned off.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:26:03 AM »
Yes, it's a vicious cycle of burning off the seasoning and cooking a batch of bacon to re-season.  I'm willing to take on this chore.

Whit

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:20:16 AM »
Yes, it's a vicious cycle of burning off the seasoning and cooking a batch of bacon to re-season.  I'm willing to take on this chore.

Whit

When I get new cast iron, I rub it down with vegetable oil then bake it in the oven for a while around 400-450, then repeat the process a few times.  Works great! I have a skillet I can probably fry an egg on without any lubrication!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
but grilled CI buttery eggs are delicious..

Seriously I pour Boiling water & soap on my New cast iron & scrub the heIl out of it (manufacturing residue off)
then burn it good & oil it often  (coconut oil)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 05:57:35 AM »
I like to use my lodge 14" baking pan on the grill, burgers just about anything
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

BobG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
On a different note entirely, who here uses a cast iron grate?

When I was a kid (1990's), I remember my father being angry when Weber stopped producing cast iron grates for the 22.5in Kettle - he used them and taught me to use them as they can reach a much higher temperature than the normal steel grate, providing better searing capabilities and also better marking on steaks, chicken, etc.

Since you can no longer buy the entire grate in cast iron, I now use a hinged steel grate with removable center rectangle portion, which happens to be the same dimensions as one side of a Weber gas grill grate--some of which are made in cast iron. This cast iron rectangle fits perfectly into the hinged grate with the old steel center removed, which has effectively solved my problem.

I can definitely notice the difference between cast iron and steel grates, as my Smokey Joe is just the stock steel grate. To me, I think the cast iron grate is definitely the way to go..  I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way!

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 06:18:26 AM »
On a different note entirely, who here uses a cast iron grate?

I can definitely notice the difference between cast iron and steel grates, as my Smokey Joe is just the stock steel grate. To me, I think the cast iron grate is definitely the way to go..  I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way!

I am looking to hear more feedback from others on cast iron grates for Kettles.  They are on my short list but then I read on Amazing Ribs.com that Meathead highly suggests again them and recommends stainless steel over cast iron so now I am confused. 
I have never used cast iron over coals but really like it on my old Genesis gas grill.