Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?  (Read 5318 times)

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?
« on: April 25, 2016, 04:36:09 AM »
I have always been a sear first and then indirect heat until 135.   Recently, I have been indirect cooking to 120-125 and then searing each side to a temp of 135.  I seem to be getting more uniform med rare from top to bottom with a slimmer "crust" with the sear occurring last.   Just curious what most of you prefer....and please don't use the term  "well done".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:41:23 AM by btomlin »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »
I use both ways depending on how thick the steaks are. If I'm cooking smaller 1" or so steaks I will just cook them over direct high heat till my desired i.t., but I use the reverse sear method like you're talking about for big steaks or roast. That way they don't burn on the outside before the inside is done.

Weber's website also has some good input on this as well, if you're looking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »
I like reverse sear for thicker cuts as does Travis.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
I have been a sear first guy for a long time but do reverse from time to time. 

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:50:20 AM »
I started reverse searing ribeyes over my chimney this past winter. Best I've ever made so far.

A guy I know from work cooks them completely on the chimney with a turbo flame burning. He decided he was going to buy a bunch of chimneys so he could cook steaks for a gathering at the same time.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:08:53 AM »
It also depends on the thickness for me as well.  Under 1" gets cooked directly.  Anything thicker, and I prefer a reverse sear.  After years of searing them first, I feel I get a better finished product by the reverse sear.  Its much more controllable and predicable for me.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 03:36:00 AM »
Do any of you put two charcoal baskets together, off to the side? I recently recommended this to someone who complained he wasn't getting enough heat to sear when they were separated.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:51:55 AM »
I'm now a reverse sear guy.  I think letting the fat get warmed up then searing the sh!t out of it is the way to go.  I've converted a few "I cook an amazing steak" guys to reverse sear as well.  I agree that it probably doesn't matter as much for thinner steaks, but anything over 1" is best reseverse seared.  I started using my baskets together off to one side, or my vortex, but I have started using my Slow-n-Sear instead.  It give more searing space than the vortex does.  Not necessarily more space than baskets, but I think the slow-n-sear puts the hot coals closer to the cooking grate and therefore sears a lot better.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »
That reminds me, I gotta go look and see about doing the charcoal baskets mod that joins them. If it works, it'll be easy on my budget.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
I agree with everyone regarding the <1" cooking method.  I'm glad to know the reverse sear is not just an "in my head" thing regarding having better results than sear and slide.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »
That reminds me, I gotta go look and see about doing the charcoal baskets mod that joins them. If it works, it'll be easy on my budget.
I had gotten the changon grillaque for a bday gift. It is basically the sns without the basket. When I joined this site and learned about damaging the bowl over the years, I did the same mod with some old baskets I had. That mod will work just fine. I didn't join them together, I just place them and it works cause I can make the size however I want.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:42:51 PM by Travis »

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »

What are your thoughts just bolting them together? 

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »
Do any of you put two charcoal baskets together, off to the side? I recently recommended this to someone who complained he wasn't getting enough heat to sear when they were separated.

Exactly what I do.
Still need a 22” yellow

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 05:47:39 PM »
Yes, I do this.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

What are your thoughts just bolting them together?

I don't have any thoughts yet. I now have two sets of baskets to share among about 4 grills so have been reluctant to dedicate 2 of them to a single configuration. I imagine I could do it temporarily with some baling wire or whatever and if it works, then bolt them together.

But doing that won't help any steak sears as much as just leaving them intact and pairing them up, facing each other like we do to create a close "pile" of heat. The only way I can see to combine charcoal baskets "lengthwise" (more or less) into a larger "poor man's SnS" would be to include ... a 3rd one perhaps. Especially for use in a 26.

I don't know, it's not a priority right now.