Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?  (Read 5317 times)

Yendor

• WKC Brave
Re: Steaks...Are you a sear at beginning or end type?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 06:43:02 AM »
I sear first over lump. I then pull off to the side and let it finish cooking with some bourbon barrel wood for some smokey goodness. I monitor temps on the steaks until they are near 130 then I throw it on its sides to render off and crisp up the fat on sides. I like NY Strips, by the way.

If you've never tried a steak over bourbon barrel wood you're missing out, I don't care how good your steaks have been in the past, they'll be better over bourbon barrel wood, guaranteed.

I'm making a steak tonight to share with my wife for our 9th anniversary!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »
@Yendor Where would you find bourbon barrel wood other than at an old distillery or auction house. What's differences have you found?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
@Travis I get mine locally at "The Charcoal Store" Google them, they have all sorts of woods and will ship throughout the US. I don't know where they get their barrels though. Since they are oak barrels they have a great smell as it is, the bourbon, well you can smell it in the air as whatever was soaked into the wood dissipates with the smoke. I do all of my beef on bourbon barrel wood. I asked my wife if she could smell and taste the difference and she wholeheartedly agreed that you can smell it in the air and taste it in the food. I think it adds a richness to the meat that isn't normally there. I would think that some Jack Daniels smoking chips would be similar as well. Those can usually be found easily. I get chunks from The Charcoal store.

*Please don't blame me for introducing you to the Charcoal store, my conscience thanks you, but your significant other may not.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:56:01 AM by Yendor »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
@Yendor Thankin you for the info, but please understand that this post will be shown and you, ultimately will be blamed if I become hooked. Thank you and sorry, in advance. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
@Travis if you call there they will answer as Laserquip as they also sell laser printer parts and such. Wife's uncle pointed that out to me recently. I'm not the only addict in the family.