Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.  (Read 5690 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 05:22:52 AM »
Congrats! Looks like a fun road trip.

Nice to see the car was covered.  I had a similar situation with Toyota which didn't work out in my favor.  Long story short, a recalled part failed and caused $2,500 in damage. Toyota wouldn't pick up the bill because the damage wasn't "directly related" to the failure. 
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 06:02:30 AM »
Glad to hear it turned around for you bud. Got that trunk PACKED!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 07:44:37 AM »
Did the Kenmore have a internal ash pan ?  //  grate scores
Unfortunately, this never came with one.  It's like a Happy Cooker/Weber hybrid.  HC(ish)= lid stamping + identical handles except w/ Kenmore logo + porcelain finish.  Weber(ish)= friction leg sockets + aluminum legs + ash pan + aluminum dampers + identical triangle.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:21:19 AM »
Congrats! Looks like a fun road trip.

Nice to see the car was covered.  I had a similar situation with Toyota which didn't work out in my favor.
Thanks.

Sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, Toyota is not the company it used to be.  In the early 2000's, their sole focus became being the biggest auto company.  Quality suffered for it.  Guessing you won't buy Toyota in the near future?  I won't buy VW/Audi because of similar reasons. If a company stands by their product, they'll keep getting my money.   

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Kenmore's done!!!
Food grease, barn dust, and bird crap form a  great protective coating.  Took a little effort to clean, but I unearthed a pretty finish & one small porcelain chip.
Handles were the hardest part, but with multiple cleanings w/ Mothers Back To Black, they look like new (ok, slightly used).
Used knock-out plugs to repair the holes that were cut into the bottom. The holes were misshapen & out of round, so I used my knockout tools (inherited from grandpa[emoji56]) to clean up holes.  Painted insides w/ black hi-temp & outsides w/ red caliper paint (not an exact match, but will darken from heat).

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
DUDE! That is GROOVY!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, Toyota is not the company it used to be.  In the early 2000's, their sole focus became being the biggest auto company.  Quality suffered for it.  Guessing you won't buy Toyota in the near future?  I won't buy VW/Audi because of similar reasons. If a company stands by their product, they'll keep getting my money.

Yes sir, no more Toyota's for this family.  I'm a big VW/Audi guy so it's disappointing to hear that you've had issues with them.

Nice work on the cleanup.  That was quick! Now fire that thing up and let's see if there is a color shift.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
Happy Cooker's done!!!  It's a pretty cool little grill.  Think this might become my pizza stone warmer.
Disassembled completely.  Flame didn't seem right when I fired it up for the first time.  Took the burner assembly apart completely, cleaned, and adjusted.  Works like a champ now.
The majority of my clean-up time was spent scrubbing the handles multiple times with Mothers Back To Black.  They're not perfect, but a far cry from the greenish grey they were before.
There is still propane in the "old" K-Mart cylinder, so I decided to clean off the cylinder to keep with the HC (period correct). 
Had to upgrade the grease can.  Who the he!! would put a Diet Coke can there?  It seems more fitting with a PBR can.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:45:53 PM by brewtownbeatdown »

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
Yes sir, no more Toyota's for this family.  I'm a big VW/Audi guy so it's disappointing to hear that you've had issues with them.

Nice work on the cleanup.  That was quick! Now fire that thing up and let's see if there is a color shift.
VW/Audi has re-engineered their turbo motors finally, but I can't bring myself to buy another.  They're probably the most sorted front drive based cars out there.  Felt good up to 80mph.  Felt superb over 100mph.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I was told "that was quick".  I'll report on the color change when I finally light 'er up.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »
Man  "that was quick".
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker