Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.  (Read 5684 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
*** Update: Resto/Clean-up pics down in the comments ***

The weekend prior to Easter weekend was F'ing $h!tty. My wife's car is only a few years old & the engine had just suffered a catastrophic failure. I figured I was in for a fight over the warranty, since I do my own oil changes.  Needless to say, starting the week, I'm a little down in the dumps thinking about worse case scenarios ($2,000-$8,000 out of pocket scenarios).  However, this doesn't deter me from checking Craigslist for a decent score.  Found something interesting, so I sent the seller a text.  Right after, I get a phone call from the dealer letting me know that the bearings failed (RECALL-covered 100%). Hyundai sending a new, complete engine, and had a courtesy car ready to go.  As I'm on the phone, a reply text comes in, saying that the grill is available.  Talk about a major shift of emotions!!!  Good Friday seemed like the perfect time to take a "casual" day for a family road trip.  Seller pulled the listing when I confirmed I'd p/u then.  As the week continues, I find a few more goodies near my original find.  Well, we got a courtesy car with 1100 miles, so that's what we were taking, "regardless of what & how much I find".  Been driving my truck for over 12 years & 135,000 miles.  Took some tools & hit the road with the family.

1st stop: Middleton, WI

-----  $20  -----

Happy Cooker Gas-Picnic. 

In good shape.  All original.  Hadn't been used in 20+ years. Had an old K-Mart cylinder and an old Diet Cook can hooked up underneath.

2nd stop: Rock Springs, WI (3 items)

-----  $25  -----

Red 80's Kenmore Kettle. 

All original. Not w/o issues.  The seller bought it new & appeared to have never, ever cleaned it.  Stored in a barn, so it was filthy.  He also cut three holes in the bottom for clearing out the ash.  Will finish the resto tonight, take & post pics tomorrow.

-----  $25  -----

Weber Fire Pit

In good shape.  Handles still legible. Was even more filthy than the Kenmore.  Seller added chicken wire around 3/4 of riser section.

-----  $25  -----

A damn old a$$ sled (60's?). My wife had to have this as a surprise for her mom.  Felt bad, the seller's mom started crying when she agreed to sell it.

Not too bad, $95 (+ $20 of Starbucks & $15 of gas) for everything.  Spent twice as much on lunch & some shopping for my daughters on the way home.

Everything fit in the trunk with enough room left for a SJ or GA.  No luck finding one en route home.  Of course, a gasser GA (trying to find a steal for my dad) popped up once I was home.  I ended up leaving a couple other non-grill items out there because I didn't take the truck. 

Ended up being a good Good Friday.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:02:12 AM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
Congrats! It really was a "Good Friday"

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
Dam Dude...U have been very lucky!
Great grabs, and yes the sled is awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
That's whatcha call a haul.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:01:36 PM »
Nice pick ups, I am curious on what oil and filter brands you used and how many miles you changed the oil at

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
What great luck!.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
Atta boy. I'm glad things turned around so quickly. Good use of the courtesy car!
Growing family = growing kettles!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
nice haul. Glad your weekend turned around for ya!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
Feast or Famine!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »
Dam Dude...U have been very lucky!
Great grabs, and yes the sled is awesome
Thanks.  Have been lucky on these kettle trips.  BTW, if I didn't have a pic of the sled, would you have known what one looked like?  Sure ain't much use for such a contraption so close to the Gulf.

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
Nice pick ups, I am curious on what oil and filter brands you used and how many miles you changed the oil at
Thanks. 

I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetics in all my vehicles since '94(?).  I've had a Toyota Previa hit 440,000 miles, a Jeep Cherokee hit 270,000 miles, & others make it well into the 100,000's.  Every car still ran when I got rid of it. This one in particular, I've been running Mobil 1 Extended Service Synthetic (15,000 mile guarantee) & Mobil 1 Extended Service filters. Change every 10,000 miles (approx. 10 months).  Wasn't an oil issue thankfully.  I guess this recall was issued about a month ago for certain '11-'13 Sonata.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Rollercoaster of Emotions: Cars & Kettles.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:31 PM »
Congrats! It really was a "Good Friday"

That's whatcha call a haul.

Atta boy. I'm glad things turned around so quickly. Good use of the courtesy car!

nice haul. Glad your weekend turned around for ya!
Thanks gentlemen. @Saugust, you know how sad I look already. Imagine me looking depressed to boot [emoji17]

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »

Thanks.  Have been lucky on these kettle trips.  BTW, if I didn't have a pic of the sled, would you have known what one looked like?  Sure ain't much use for such a contraption so close to the Gulf.....

Yep! ...I was born in Colorado. Still have family in Pueblo...but you are right, down here that is wall art lol[emoji6]

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:27:58 AM »
grate pickup on the sled and firepit

but there no way i would of picked up the others

each to their own
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 04:07:21 AM »
Did the Kenmore have a internal ash pan ?  //  grate scores