Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Overheated Performer  (Read 7322 times)

JP

• Smokey Joe
Overheated Performer
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:22:02 AM »
Hi

Few days ago i noticed that there are some scrathes in bottom of my performer and briquette bin was partly melted.

I contacted Weber CS and they said it must have been seriously overheated. I wonder how this is possible. I'm still waiting for they answer if they will replace damaged parts. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 5X laitteesta Tapatalkilla
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:33:56 AM by JP »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Overheated Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:38:15 AM »
Agreed, you musta had a REALLY hot fire in that thing
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 04:02:14 AM »
Wow! I've never seen that, but I'm a newbie to the Performer world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 04:46:22 AM »
Check the brass elbow for cracks. The one that holds the orifice. My ssp had a crack that ignited the elbow. Just a thought.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:53:19 AM »

Check the brass elbow for cracks. The one that holds the orifice. My ssp had a crack that ignited the elbow. Just a thought.

Yeah, I'm thinking this had to be related to the charcoal burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 05:24:20 AM »
Did the lid bale rollers melt too? If you had a really hot fire going, they would have melted first, before the charcoal bin because they are closer to the bowl. If the plastic lid bale rollers did not melt, but the charcoal bin did, then you must have had an external flame coming from around the gas orifice.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 05:27:46 AM »
Did the lid bale rollers melt too? If you had a really hot fire going, they would have melted first, before the charcoal bin because they are closer to the bowl. If the plastic lid bale rollers did not melt, but the charcoal bin did, then you must have had an external flame coming from around the gas orifice.
No, they did not melt.

Lähetetty minun Nexus 5X laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 05:39:01 AM »
The bottom of the used Weber Fire Place that I bought looks like that.

Looking forward to hearing if you have any luck with Weber replacing it.

Greg

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
Are you the only owner/operator of the grill?

There's some smoke on the bottom of the kettle. That normally only happens momentarily when theres a big hot, greasy, fire in the grill that was allowed to burn unchecked, then the lid gets put on (to control it) and the heat & flames jump out the bottom vents briefly.

All that heat didnt appear to melt the table top, or it was relpaced after.

Im not familiar with the gas supply line being metal, Iv only seen rubber lines on older SS grills.

My first guess is the touch & go was used with a big pile of fuel and was left unattended while the rig went nuclear and had a melt down.

Second guess is there was a gas leak from a broken part that torched some stuff.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
Are you the only owner/operator of the grill?

Yes, it's less than three years old

There's some smoke on the bottom of the kettle. That normally only happens momentarily when theres a big hot, greasy, fire in the grill that was allowed to burn unchecked, then the lid gets put on (to control it) and the heat & flames jump out the bottom vents briefly.

All that heat didnt appear to melt the table top, or it was relpaced after.

Im not familiar with the gas supply line being metal, Iv only seen rubber lines on older SS grills.

My first guess is the touch & go was used with a big pile of fuel and was left unattended while the rig went nuclear and had a melt down.

Second guess is there was a gas leak from a broken part that torched some stuff.

I haven't used touch and go for a while, and when use it i will never put more fuel than one chimney. and i only use it for 5-10 minutes.
I will have to check touch &  go for leaks.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
@JP - Are you using lighter fluid that might have ran down into the ashpan and caught fire?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
@JP - Are you using lighter fluid that might have ran down into the ashpan and caught fire?
No

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
I had several Performers in the past where a small flame would still remain in that little hole at the gas orifice that is shown in the picture. The gas would be completely shut off, but the flame would remain. I would have to blow the flame out like a birthday candle. I don't know if this is similar to your problem? Could be? Turn your gas on, light the flame in the bowl, then shut the gas off and watch that orifice area. See if a small flame doesn't remain lit in that hole in the gas orifice? I actually had to take a video with my cellphone of mine doing this and send it to Weber to show them proof of what I was talking about.

However; the fact that your plastic bale rollers show no signs of melting or heat damage should indicate that there was not a raging hot fire in the bowl. I just don't see how a super hot fire in the bowl could damage the plastic charcoal bin that is about a foot away from the bowl, yet the plastic bale rollers that are right next to the bowl remained undamaged?

I believe there was some sort of fire that occurred at the gas orifice connection area due to a possible gas leak at that spot? However; there doesn't appear to be any heat damage to the underside of the plastic thermoset table that is right above in that spot? Beyond that, I can't think of what it could be? Keep us posted if you solve the mystery.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 05:30:33 PM »
At 3 years old the rust on the gas burner bracket is fairly excessive...ive seen that rust buildup on 10+ year performers gas burner brackets.

Ive had half dozen 3-5 year performers which didnt have rust on the gas burner bracket...

Unless what im seeing is not rust?.

If you didnt have 800+ degree cooks going its very possible that you could simply have had a defective /poorly enameled bowl which is failing..ive never seens scratches /cracks like you are showing on your bowl
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »
I just noticed you are in finland..are you cooking in subzero temp? ..lighting up a kettle in -20 degree weather with a fast rise cook temp could cause the enamel crack due to extreme temp swings?
Grills