Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Packing a kettle for tailgating  (Read 4085 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Packing a kettle for tailgating
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:51:47 AM »
Has anybody developed a safe, quick, and convenient way pack a 22” kettle for travel to a tailgate?  I always end up packing my SJ’s and Q for tailgating because it’s compact and convenient. I want to take my larger kettles but get too worried about scratching and damage.  I would love to come up with a compact, safe and quick system to conveniently bring my favorite colors to the next tailgate. Maybe I’m being a big wussy and should just pull the legs off, put the lid in the bowl and just throw it in the back like everybody else? 
May The Smoke Be With You!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Packing a kettle for tailgating
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
Car or truck?  If you have a truck, just leave it together, stand it up in the back of the track against the cabin and run a strap from one site of the truck, through the side handle, through the top handle, through the second side handle then to the other side of the truck and strap it down tight.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
Car or truck?  If you have a truck, just leave it together, stand it up in the back of the track against the cabin and run a strap from one site of the truck, through the side handle, through the top handle, through the second side handle then to the other side of the truck and strap it down tight.
Yes, I've seen that done but unfortunately I'm traveling in an SUV and cramped for space.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
I have a "beater" kettle that I do just as you said, pull the legs, put the lid in the bowl (with some cardboard) and move it that way. If it gets scratched, dinged or dented..no worries..I paid $5 for it. Maybe invest in something like that..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »
My brother in law carried one in his SUV buy just using a ratchet strap from one side handle through the top hanled to the other side handle.  You don't have to get it so tight it starts pulling your handles, just enough to hold everything together.  Maybe a towel in between the bowl and lid with this method would work even better.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
I  remove the grates and lid and put  the bowl with legs attached in a cover inverted so the legs are sticking up . I pit the lid in another cover and  find a spot to stuff the grates where nothing rubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »

I brought along on a vacation. Disassembled and all parts but legs are underneath the bowl: lid, grates, gold ash Cather. Each pat separated by old towels to avoid rattling as we drove. Totally worth it.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
+1 for a beater kettle. Spray paint it for team spirit. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »
Yes, I've seen that done but unfortunately I'm traveling in an SUV and cramped for space.

This is why you want a Jumbo Joe...   I have an old style version which is our go-to for the drive-inn theater or any other "traveling cooking".    Every time we show up to the local drive in theater, someone comments.  (Well, except for the day the guy one row up from us was making funnel cakes on an old faded black MBH 22.5".)  :o

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
Packing a kettle for tailgating
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »
Was reading this tread with great interest.  Considered a JJ but read not good for indirect or smoking. I have a new in the box 18" weber kettle & was thinking to turn it into a table top model. Use to just cook on wood in fire pit for camping but transporting wood is a no no . Had a rectangle weber but didn't like it much , just too small. Have a non weber rectangle with warming rack that's  a bit better. Ever since the vortex,well I really need my vortex.
Why'd Weber make that  damn versatile kettle grill anyway [emoji31]
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:00:33 AM by Jack Fate »

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll go with the beater method combined with the idahawk method. I do have a couple of beater blacks I could use but I would really like to travel with some colors.