Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Homer  (Read 4582 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
My Homer
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:08:37 AM »

Cleaned this up a but this morning. Thought I was ambitious but it turns out I'm impatient. I used oven cleaner to de gunk the bowl. Got it to about 80% then decided that the bowl's job is to hold fire and so I got over that for now at least. The grill is solid and in nice shape but certainly lived a productive life with real world use. In the end, I couldn't find a black OTG for $25, so was happy with this bonus. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:30:33 AM by jaynik »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My Homer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:47:31 AM »
Nice find, I don't like Simpson grills but I would purchase that for $25
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:01:14 AM »
Nice grab! I feel the same way about cleaning cookers. I'll give it a once over with oven cleaner and scraping but I'll usually leave the carbonized stuff on since it's so hard to take off.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:44:05 AM »

And this is my intended use for this particular grill.  I've been cautioned about the high heat being a potential issue so I'll keep an eye on it.  Definitely love having a pizza specific grill though.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 07:32:22 AM »
Grate find. Plastic handles ain't gonna like the pizza heat. I'd replace the blue handles with some wood ones. Someone hear would probably buy them from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
Do you think the handles will melt?  I had been doing pizzas on my performer and it has a plastic handle. Truth be told I'd like to find a fresh set of these blue handles. They are pretty cool.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
I like this kettle … Great score!

I don't think the handles would melt … might be wrong.

Definitely love having a pizza specific grill though.

That is awesome!  I have an old redhead pizza-specific kettle for the KP adaptor.  Love the colour change.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »

Do you think the handles will melt?  I had been doing pizzas on my performer and it has a plastic handle. Truth be told I'd like to find a fresh set of these blue handles. They are pretty cool.

I use my Kettlepizza with my Performer as well. The instructions say to remove the plastic standouts for good reason. [emoji5] Other than those, the only plastic issue I've had has been when I put the lid on with the vent over the fire. Not smart, but thankfully I was able to bend the lid vent tab back up.

One reason I prefer my Performer is because it's easier to add wood. I just lift and slide the ring toward the front, using the table for support while I add wood to the back. Fast and efficient, and the temp comes back up really quick.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
Nice, I love the Simpsons grill!

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
My handles have melted, I'd save them for later and install some wood ones. That's an awful lot of heat for a Homer, be careful.

●|||||||●

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »
Great to see it setup and already cooking!  Sad that I missed it by a day but glad it's in a good home.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:42 AM »
My handles have melted, I'd save them for later and install some wood ones. That's an awful lot of heat for a Homer, be careful.
●|||||||●

So, this is the third or fourth comment I've gotten about this being a homer and not handling the heat well.  Is there something specific about this grill that makes it less high heat capable than a non-Homer?

BTW, I broke it in yesterday cooking up some burgers.  They were super tasty.  I think this grill has good karma.

Also BTW, my Kettle Pizza has the tombstone, so it allows me to easily add fuel through holes in the side and back.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:13:40 AM by jaynik »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Doh

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
You might as well remove the handles if you like them. If you do melt them your not gonna find replacements.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »

●|||||||●

So, this is the third or fourth comment I've gotten about this being a homer and not handling the heat well.  Is there something specific about this grill that makes it less high heat capable than a non-Homer?

BTW, I broke it in yesterday cooking up some burgers.  They were super tasty.  I think this grill has good karma.

Also BTW, my Kettle Pizza has the tombstone, so it allows me to easily add fuel through holes in the side and back.

I'm not sure about the handles melting but I wouldn't want to risk my Homer lid crazing anywhere. Check out the lid of their copper kettle opposite the vent:
https://youtu.be/DDaVgTfxdYc