Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Second WI to MN to WI Trip. (3 Grills - $115)  (Read 3190 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Second WI to MN to WI Trip. (3 Grills - $115)
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Made another trip up to the Twin Cities, hauling the equipment for my daughter's HS Color Guard & Percussion/Drum Line competitions.  Unlike the last trip, I only had one Weber waiting for me.  Had multiple leads that went cold at the "exchange of address/phone number" phase. My original route was gonna be I-94, but since Farmington, MN was an equal amount of time as going the I-90 route, I took I-90. There were a couple ads I had seen listed on Craigslist in LaCrosse, WI. Reached out to both, and got a response from one when I was about thirty minutes from them.

1st stop: Saturday morning (Onalaska, WI)

---   $30   ---

22" red MBH ("A" code). Some porcelain issues. Solid, original, and complete. Handle in beautiful condition. Weber wheel inserts are fully intact. Appears to have spent a considerable amount of time garaged. 37 years old and legs came out w/o issues.

2nd stop: Saturday afternoon (Farmington, MN)

---    $70   ---

22" blue OTG ("DI" code).  Perfect shape, except for one porcelain chip on the lid. Seller included a period correct Weber premium cover.  Spent a little more than I normally would for this one.  Could tell from the seller's texts that he knew what he had.  Turns out he is an enthusiast like the rest of us, not a WKC member though. He had a couple WSM, Blue Performer (gen. 3), 26" project, mods, and some parts. Hit him with our sales pitch, so hopefully he'll join us.

Saturday evening/night: performances in Coon Rapids, MN & Forest Lake, MN

Sunday afternoon: performance in Hutchinson, MN.  Had plans to snag a new, lime SJ (fcfs on Craigslist for $23) in Plymouth, MN if I could make it before seller's store closed. Fortunately, finished early enough. Unfortunately, it sold in an hour into the day's performances.

3rd stop: Sunday evening (West St. Paul, MN)

---    $15   ---

14" black SJ Gold ("EE" code). Had emailed the seller shortly after it listed 11 days earlier (originally listed as 18"), to confirm size, and see if they'd possibly hold it. Seller had no problem holding, but confirmed my SJ suspicion. Told them that I'd be interested for half that price, if it hadn't sold by the Sunday I was in town. Seller agreed. Pretty much what the listing stated. Seller said she had bought it 10-15 years ago, used it once, and it got buried in her warehouse until recently. 

Late Sunday night: finally got response from a Craigslist seller in Viola, WI about a black Happy Cooker for $45. Seller was available Monday morning if I was still interested. Asked the single most important HC question: internal ash pan?  No response.

Monday morning: left hotel an hour earlier than the kids, in case I was gonna grab it up (didn't wanna get home after the kids). Got the dreaded email about a half hour into my trip: no internal ash pan, just the two grates. Oh well, back home way ahead of the kids.

Didn't score as well as first trip, but something is always better than nothing.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=19070

I'll post pics as I get 'em back in shape!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Second WI to MN to WI Trip. (3 Grills - $115)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:51:18 AM »
Wow, awesome haul! Especially love the red head

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:08:52 AM »
Got the easy one done. Just a basic cleaning. Had to straighten the damper tab, after a little mishap on the way home: Dropped off the box truck. Started loading stuff into my p/u, but neither back door would open (???[emoji35]???) until I was driving down the street. Thankfully the secondary catches work. Daughter opened & closed her side, I opened my side, grill fell, caught it before the ground (but just after kick plate). Figured my exhausts (exit behind cab) condensated door latches & they froze in the sub-zero weather.  Crisis averted[emoji29]

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Blue OTG done.
Now I have twins.
Put 'em both to work tonight.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:00:47 PM by brewtownbeatdown »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
Two very nice grills. Great job
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
Congratulations that you, uh...have a pair.

Great trip.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
Glad that red went to a member. That thing's been listed forever!
Growing family = growing kettles!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »

Glad that red went to a member. That thing's been listed forever!
Can't believe it was up for 2+ months. Glad it was still there for me. Should have it cleaned up by next weekend.

you, uh...have a pair.
LOL. They're blue too!!!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:57 AM »
I first saw that pop up the day after I got back from a trip to Onalaska in October!

Growing family = growing kettles!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »
Great scores and amazing cleanup time.  Looking good!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
woot!  nice job!
I only use kettles with lid bales.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »
Nicely done...jealous of the blue!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
Those trips are paying off for you!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »
Redhead's ready for a night on the town now.
Pretty good shape when she's cleaned up. Ash pan actually sits off kilter slightly. Bad die set when produced (straightest ash pan I've ever touched)?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:15:14 AM by brewtownbeatdown »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 06:31:59 AM »
Love the sheen on the Red and that top handle. Very nice indeed.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"