Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Busy WI to MN to WI Trip (5 Grills-$150.00)  (Read 7012 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Busy WI to MN to WI Trip (5 Grills-$150.00)
« on: October 15, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »
This is gonna seem a little long winded, but I couldn't believe my luck on such a busy weekend.

This past weekend, I headed up to the Minneapolis area, from the Milwaukee area, with my oldest daughter's high school marching band. I'm one the many parents who volunteer with the staging/loading/unloading/transporting of everything that the 228 band/color guard students use for the competitions. We fill a 48' semi trailer & 26' box truck. I'm one of the few with a CDL, so I took the box truck. Luckily, there was just over 2' available at the rear, because there were some treasures awaiting a new owner. Took boxes, bubble/foam/stretch wrap, & tape, since my new family members would be handled quite a few times & were riding in the way back. All Craigslist finds.

1st stop: Friday night (St. Paul, MN)
  (didn't get screenshot before seller pulled listing)
---   $40   ---
22" brown (Coffee?) Happy Cooker in really nice condition, except for one ding in the lid, non-original lid handle, & missing lid catch(?) on backside. Ash pan there & in great shape.

Saturday 8:30am-4:30pm. Practice in Hastings, MN. Perform in Farmington, MN.

2nd stop: Saturday evening (Richfield, MN)

---   $20   ---
18" Sears Economy in fair condition. Bought it for the Weber grate & ash pan, that were in/on it, so I can finish my 18" Brownie. 

3rd stop: Saturday evening (Maple Grove, MN). Seller met me halfway from my hotel.

---   $20   ---
22" gray (real, actual gray) OT ("M" code) in good condition. Couple of porcelain imperfections, battered ash pan, weathered handles, & weathered wheels.

Saturday night, I took my youngest daughter to Mall Of America. We covered every floor of that place in about two hours, and even managed to do some actual shopping.

4th stop: Sunday morning (Hudson, WI)

---   $30   ---
18" burgundy OTS ("DD" code) in perfect condition, except for the "Weber" handle markings rubbing off a little. Chimney only used once.

Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm. Practice at high school in River Falls, WI. Perform at UW-River Falls. On the way home, when stopping for fuel, I emailed & set up grill #5 (counting it since I set it up on the weekend).

5th stop: Monday night (Greenfield, WI)

---   $30   ---
22" black MBH ("B" code) in great condition. Cleaned it up Tuesday night after work. Sent the seller a pic of finished product, so she could show it to "Grandma" who bought it brand new in 1980.

Hope you made it through w/o dozing off!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:11:51 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Busy WI to MN to WI Trip (5 Grills-$150.00)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
Awesome finds.  Especially getting the Sears Economy as part for your Brownie!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Great finds!

I know the band Dad crew gig quite well.  Our equipment crew T shirts say. "Ours is not to understand, ours is just to move the band"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »

Awesome finds.  Especially getting the Sears Economy as part for your Brownie!

Yeah, my Brownie is more important than a fair to rough Sears that's missing handles & vents. You can tell by the second pic that it's a Weber grate, not Sears.

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 02:50:54 PM »

Great finds!

I know the band Dad crew gig quite well.  Our equipment crew T shirts say. "Ours is not to understand, ours is just to move the band"

I'm starting to figure that out. I'm a Freshman Dad this year. I know it's worth it though. Love seeing my daughter perform. Different perspective when you're at field level. Looking forward to the 2016 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, when she gets to perform there.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
Wow! Hellava weekend, you got more in one weekend then some have in their entire collection!
Especially love the grey and the clean up on the mbh black, looks great!
Nice job!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
Sounds like a great trip and some great scores!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
Wow. Cool. Spotted that Plum 18 cruising CL....did not post it but hoped one of us grabbed it....I'd of been all over that if it were close to me.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
Damn dude....you crushed it
SMOKE THIS!!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 05:34:33 PM »
You drove right past the Yacht Club and didn't stop? WTF?

Nice pick-ups, though I think you spent a little too much on the 18 missing the vents. 

;)
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

You drove right past the Yacht Club and didn't stop? WTF?

Nice pick-ups, though I think you spent a little too much on the 18 missing the vents. 

;)
The seller was persistent on $35, but I badgered him down to $20. I really needed the grates, and more importantly, the ash pan for my 18" Brownie. I'm so limited on time when I can get treasures, & I figured $20 wasn't gonna bankrupt me.
BTW, you gave me the wrong Yacht Club address. Classic @Harbormaster . I fall for that sh!t every time.

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
Wow.  That's a heckuva road trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »
Hell of haul, congrats.  Even if they were all blacks, the sheer mechanics of the trip is impressive.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »

Hell of haul, congrats.  Even if they were all blacks, the sheer mechanics of the trip is impressive.
All black?
Two black
One gray (not faded black)
One burgundy
One brown

But yeah, I couldn't believe how everything fell into place.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 06:55:32 PM »

Wow! Hellava weekend, you got more in one weekend then some have in their entire collection!
Especially love the grey and the clean up on the mbh black, looks great!
Nice job!
Thanks. I'm gonna try to post the cleaned-up photos as I do 'em.