Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about temp management  (Read 5021 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Question about temp management
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:38 AM »
The last few smokes I've had I've been a little confused on temp management. From other posts it seems like you guys get consistent temps with your weber kettle grills. Are you guys holding at a specific temperature or is the temp constantly changing and when you guys state a temp you are talking about the average? Here is my example. So when you say you cooked at 250 for 5hrs. Did you really mean the temp fluxuated between 240-270 on and off for those 5hrs and you figured it gave you an average temp of 250?

I just don't see how you can hold the temp at a constant rate. Trying to figure that out. I tried keeping the top open during the smoke and barely opening the bottom vent. It still seemed that the temp climbed no matter what I did after that. The temp climbed slowly maybe a degree or 2 every 10-15min but it did rise. The only way to stop it was to kill the bottom vent altogether. Just trying to figure out if that's normal or something is wrong.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:32:16 AM by BBQFiend »
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Re: Question about temp management
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I've only tried the smokes with the Slow N Sear. Just wondering how people have found that to work with keeping the temps stable.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:13:59 AM »
Have no experience with Slow N Sear, so not much below relates to your question.

Much depends on how well your vents and lid seal, because at some point you can't compensate by shutting things down more if your shit's broke. Windy conditions will blow air into the kettle the kick start coals a few degrees. Or non-equal coals distribution will do likewise as things catch at different times and rates. Hey man, it's cooking with live fire, not an electric range!

I can't speak for others but my kettle temp swings are indeed minor once it's settled down.

"It still seemed that the temp climbed no matter what I did after that. The temp climbed slowly maybe a degree or 2 every 10-15min but it did rise."

Arranging in a snake is a perfect method in the kettle because fresh coals light slowly and replace the spent. This is different from adding either pre-lit or stone-cold coals IMO, where both the coals and lid opening will induce more temp swings. But overall, yes, temps should stabilize and not rise and rise and rise unless there's an air leak or too many coals are being lit inside the kettle. Explore both possibilities.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:04 AM »
I've done one smoke with my SNS so far and the temp was all over the place.  When I use the snake method (which I have probably used 50 times now), I can generally get the vent dialed in within an  hour so that the temp stays within a 10-15 degree range.  With the snake its all about stacking/leaning your coals in a very consistant manner, and also using similar sized wood chunks so that as each new chunk starts to smoke you aren't getting a sudden change in temp from that chunk being bigger or smaller than the previous chunk.  If my snake isn't really tight and consistant or I'm using multi sized wood chunks, I am fine with the grill fluctuating in temps as longs as it stays between 225-265.  If I hit 270 on my thermo, I'll go out and nudge the bottom vent closed a tiny bit.

I need to do a few more smokes on my SNS...probably some meatless runs to figure out how to get it dialed in correctly.  I'm also thinking that a water pan, which I always use with the snake method, under the meat in addition to the water in the SNS might help stabalize the temps a little better.  I've also been told to fill the water chamber of the SNS, then just leave it alone.  On my first smoke attempt I refilled it multiple times and I felt like my shoulder came out a bit steamed.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
Mike, thanks so much for your response. I've filled the water reservoir on both my cooks. I'm starting to wonder if the SNS is just a gimick and you can do the same thing with a water pan and snake or different coal laying method. I'm not saying you can't do the same thing with the SNS, just saying it's not a idiot proof way of grilling that shortens the learning curve the way it's advertised.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:21:32 AM »
I would not use the SNS for cooks over 4 hours, because of temperature management. For longer cooks I would advise the snake method with a water bowl in the center. You can have better temperature stability with the SNS by using a bbq guru temp controller fan with your vents shut closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »
@BBQFiend you said you had the top vent open and the bottom vent nearly closed - I think the SnS website says to close the top down to about 3/4" as well, which will slow the burn rate a bit, and even their testing showed some temp variation. Your oven doesn't hold a consistent temp either - it heats up, gets to temp, cools down, then turns back on. I set my Maverick to tell me if I go outside of the 225-275 range.

Ambient temps and sun can play a big factor as well. I've started many a snake or set up a charcoal basket similar to a janky SnS before sunup, temps cruising smooth. Then the sun comes up, the air temps rise, and the sun starts beating on the kettle. Have you ever felt a kettle with no fire in when it's been sitting in the sun all day? That sucker is HOT. Going from 60 degrees in the shade to 85 degrees in the sun will have a pretty big affect on your temps.

A lot of people like the SnS, I've got one on my shopping list. I'm sure some other folks will chime in @ABCbarbecue

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
I would not use the SNS for cooks over 4 hours, because of temperature management. For longer cooks I would advise the snake method with a water bowl in the center. You can have better temperature stability with the SNS by using a bbq guru temp controller fan with your vents shut closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Bustin, I'm trying to accumulate as little accessories as possible. ;D
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
The Slow 'N Sear will give you 10+ hours of very steady cook temperatures with only a few vent tweaks.  And it TROUNCES the snake method if you follow our lighting instructions

When I'm running at 225 F my top vent is typically about 1/4 open and my bottom vent is about 1/3 open.  I like to leave the bottom vent a little more open than the top vent as it makes it easier for ash to fall into the ash pan. 

It's also critical to minimize leaks around the lid.  I use binder clips.

Long low and slow cooks are one of the main reasons why I invented the SnS.  8)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
The Slow 'N Sear will give you 10+ hours of very steady cook temperatures with only a few vent tweaks.  And it TROUNCES the snake method if you follow our lighting instructions

When I'm running at 225 F my top vent is typically about 1/4 open and my bottom vent is about 1/3 open.  I like to leave the bottom vent a little more open than the top vent as it makes it easier for ash to fall into the ash pan. 

I'll give it a few more tries. I've followed the lighting instructions each time. Even with binder clips the temp was not easy to manage.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »

It sounds like I should have read the instructions better!  I left my top wide open which was probably the cause of my problem.  Like I said, I'm used the snake and don't have to think about it and have only done 1 SNS smoke so far...so I'm sure I'll dial it in the next cook or two.  It was awesome for slow then seared steaks the other night!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
i ran with top vents wide open, bottom vents less than half open
no binder clips
no water

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 12:13:44 PM »
@BBQFiend What are you using for fuel? Kingsford BB?

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
@BBQFiend What are you using for fuel? Kingsford BB?

Kingsford Blue Bag.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »

It sounds like I should have read the instructions better!  I left my top wide open which was probably the cause of my problem.  Like I said, I'm used the snake and don't have to think about it and have only done 1 SNS smoke so far...so I'm sure I'll dial it in the next cook or two.  It was awesome for slow then seared steaks the other night!

Same here. I went with the top vents wide open. I'll have to put the instructions right in front of me next time.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill