Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need caddywampus correction advice  (Read 2522 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Need caddywampus correction advice
« on: August 21, 2015, 05:50:09 AM »
The problem is I can't get the front leg inserted in the proper position so that the triangle hook hole lines up.

The socket dimple seems to be the problem because it allows the leg to be inserted in one position only. Once inserted, there is too much leg rotation distance to travel to line up the hole. The leg end and the socket interior have been thoroughly cleaned w/ steel wool and lubed.

The simplest but worst-case fix I see is drill another leg hole. I'd rather it stay wamped than deface it.

Any ideas? TIA
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Need caddywampus correction advice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »
I have had a few legs that don't go in easy....and end up doing small wiggles side to side to get em' in. If you're in a rush come back to it when you are not as patience and a steady hand are needed here. I suppose if you have more than one Kettle from the same era you could swap front legs?

By "drill another leg hole"....you mean another triangle hole right?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:44 AM »
@charred
Are you are installing the triangle hook into the leg hole first and then pushing the leg up into the hole?
The socket shouldn't care about how the leg is inserted. If its too snug, try a bit of cooking spray or lube.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:17:32 AM »
@MrHoss - The leg goes into the socket easily, but in one position only. I did the gentle back/forth to remove the leg initially and the cleaning and lube made re-installation go smoothly, in that one position. Not suffering any duress- emotions are in check.  ;)

Yes, I mean drill another hole in the leg to accept the tri hook.

@Heyjude - I haven't tried anything other than installing the leg w/ the hole pointed toward the back so it can accept the hook. Both the leg and socket have been cleaned/lubed. If the socket doesn't care how the leg goes in, what is the purpose of the socket dimple? IOW, nothing holds the leg in place other than the wheels on the ground holding it against the bowl? I've always inserted the legs and given a gentle twist to snug them up.

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
In my experience the socket/leg fit is an interference fit.  The wall of the leg tube is thin enough and soft enough to comply with the socket dimple while the leg is in the correct orientation...my .02.  Line it up and push firmly to seat.  There is no need to twist.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:52 PM »
In my experience the socket/leg fit is an interference fit.  The wall of the leg tube is thin enough and soft enough to comply with the socket dimple while the leg is in the correct orientation...my .02.  Line it up and push firmly to seat.  There is no need to twist.

Wow....I don't think I've ever simply inserted and pushed.  :o

Anyway, after a little more work, the caddywampus is no more.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
@charred
Are you are installing the triangle hook into the leg hole first and then pushing the leg up into the hole?
The socket shouldn't care about how the leg is inserted. If its too snug, try a bit of cooking spray or lube.
 8)

certain years have a nipple on the inside of the socket.
when the leg is initially inserted, it causes a small dimple/dent in the leg.

They're a pain in the ass to remove and re-insert.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »
@charred
 8)

certain years have a nipple on the inside of the socket.
when the leg is initially inserted, it causes a small dimple/dent in the leg.

They're a pain in the ass to remove and re-insert.

Amen!  >:(