Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pretty cool pick up today  (Read 5348 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Pretty cool pick up today
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
So, I wake up this morning to a craigslist ad of an new 18.5 inch grill for a pretty cheap price. The first thing that popped in my mind was that it was cheap enough that I could nab it for the legs for one of my MasterTouches. I then clicked on the ad and it showed one of the older weber boxes and I see "BAR-B-KETTLE" and instantly think..hey this could be old. See another picture and see some really nice wooden handles and think, oh man, this would be great for parts. So I immediately email the seller (it was really early this morning so didn't figure I would hear back from them for several hours from now when the "normal" people get up. Well that time comes and goes and I was starting to think that this one will get away from me. Heck, I even got a heads up PM from @Shafzilla about it so knew I really should try a little harder to get a hold of them. I tell him I was already on it and then sent another email to the seller and told them that I was hoping to be around the area they were in a couple of hours to see if maybe my first email went to the spam folder. Truth be told I was going to try and run at lunch and get it so I could wait a little time to break it to my wife that I had bought yet another grill..yep after each of the last 3 or 4 I bought in the last couple of weeks telling her that this was the last one for a while. Well, finally got an email back, stating they had it (which is the only good thing about living in Ohio is that there is not much competition here) and I could get it anytime after 4 and to give them a call for the address. So needless to say, I called, negotiated some and made plans to get it on my way home from work (so much for delaying telling the wife). Picked it up and a older lady had it sitting by the front door. I gave her them money, thanked her and told her I collect these and always ask if there is a story to it that I can pass on as I enjoy those almost as much as the finds themselves. She tells me that she was sorry, there was no story, I guess she found it in her basement and "no idea how it got down there". I just laughed, thanked her and loaded up my car. I was hoping it was older than it was, but it was a never out of the box, "O" code. Not sure if I will keep it together or part it out, but here are a some pictures of it when it was unboxed once I got it home.

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
Re: Pretty cool pick up today
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
Awesome pick up! Glad you got it. Looks fantastic.
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
Wow...nice pull...no cleaning required for this one
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
Get it Dirty !!!!

O  from an 18-1/2 Black 3 wheel, kinda beat, therm hole drilled in lip of lid....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »
Sweet!
One of the charcoal people.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »
Awesome. Nice pick up.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
So cool right outta the box... does it still have the new grill smell? ;) Congrats!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
Nice. Never said how much. I'm calling  $30
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
I like it. I like it a lot.
May The Smoke Be With You!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »
Great find!
put it together and cook on it.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
Yeah! I saw that one last night, and noticed the wooden handles. Very cool!
Growing family = growing kettles!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Very cool. If you don't have an 18 to use then definitely put it together and use it. I have one and use it all the time....it makes amazing chicken wings,is a perfect chimney station and with the cooking grate on it is a table for food. If those handles seem like they have no protection I'd suggest you protect them before they turn black from charcoal and grease.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
Wow, that's a great pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »
such a nice find.  congrats!
I only use kettles with lid bales.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
wow! and I really mean WOW! that is unreal. I'm with @MrHoss, if you don't have an 18, put it together and use it. my first weber was an 18 budlight ots that I modded into a faux mt(lid therm, ash bucket and slide aside lid holder). you'd be surprised how capable these "little" cookers are if you give them a fair shake. if you do already have and use an 18, then do as you will.

as for the handles. if you plan to keep the grill or just its handles for any reason, coat those suckers in a clear varnish/sealant/shellac so you don't discolor the wood. if you plan to sell or part it out, vacuum seal the handles in an air/moisture proof container to prevent discoloration or damage and you'll be able to off load them easier.

all that being said, if you don't plan to keep it, please offer it up in the member sales section here so folks that will treat it right and really appreciate it will have first crack at it. to my recollection,  I've not used the descriptive phrase "a true gem" to describe any cooker I've seen(via the net or in real life). I'll use it now, the grill you picked up is a true gem. from what you've posted it is absolutely flawless and as perfect as the day it came off the production line over 20 years ago.

regardless of what you choose to do, thank you for sharing the pics. I actually said "holy shit" out loud as I looked at them.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank