Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle question...  (Read 3643 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Ranch Kettle question...
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
Here is a question for anyone with a Ranch kettle: Has anyone ever permanently removed the hinged, side access "flip up" panels in the cooking grate? I am considering doing this to my RK, but wonder if the panels can still be placed loosely over the hole when needed or will the panels fall through the hole? Anyone have any pics of this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Ranch Kettle question...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:39 AM »
I don't have a ranch :(

But I'm glad to see you posting again! :)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »
@ramsfan missed you dude 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
I do not have a Weber Ranch kettle
I do have a Brinkman, and it does not come with the top.
I do not use the Ranch kettle that same way as I do a regular Weber kettle however and never have even considered a to for it, I use it when doing big cooks when entertaining and just the thought of opening an closing a grill that size never even occured to me til I saw my first Weber ranch kettle and then it looked like a pain. I also do rotisserie cooking over the Brinkman and will have 3 or 4 birds on the spit at a time as well as burgers, and dogs for the kids running around with a warming rack set up for them to grab off of. Take that and hang a dutch oven with beans over the edge to keep warmed up and a lid is nothing more than in the way when I fire up the Ranch Kettle
Maybe I need to post a pick of the Brinkman, and you can see what is possible when you do not have that lid on.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
@Troy and @Red Kettle Rich  ....Thanks. It's good to be back.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
I would think if you bend the loop that attached it to the grate back to a 90° angle without snapping it, you should be able to just lay it on top of the grate. It probably be best to apply heat while doing so.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »
@ramsfan

I don't know if the grates are identical but on my older ranch it appears you could just drop them back into place if removed... if you did some creative bending it would absolutely work. I'm thinking something along the lines of how the center circular piece hangs into the Weber Gourmet System grate)

Great to see you post man!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:21:46 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
@ Six04  ...Thanks.

I had the same thought about the pieces possibly reinstalling loosely just like the Gourmet center insert. If I cut the panel out and it turns out I am wrong, I have just ****** myself. A new Ranch Kettle grate is almost $300. I thought it better to ask about first, then cut.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
....or some little strap / tab type things bolted onto the main ring & the next in line bar.......don't really have a picture of anything & that's a pretty vague description, but tabs for it to sit on would work.....

I can visualize it....

Good to see you too, Rams..... ;D ;D ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
@ Buckie  ...Thanks.

Some sort of resting tabs welded to the circular frame of the grate is a good idea. I may try that.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
@ramsfan  .........

I thought something like a Fahnestock clip, only used in a backwards fashion......

http://www.amazon.com/School-Specialty-Science-Fahnestock-Clips/dp/B008C4S31Y

There's little cable attachment tie-down type things that look a lot like that, but would wrap around & then bolt together to create a flat place to set the grate onto......

Like this, only metal......

http://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/nylon-cable-clamps.html
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
@ramsfan  .........

I thought something like a Fahnestock clip, only used in a backwards fashion......

http://www.amazon.com/School-Specialty-Science-Fahnestock-Clips/dp/B008C4S31Y

There's little cable attachment tie-down type things that look a lot like that, but would wrap around & then bolt together to create a flat place to set the grate onto......

Like this, only metal......

http://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/nylon-cable-clamps.html

Thanks for the tip Buckie. The cable clip looks like it might be just what I need.