Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red N Code Smokey Joe  (Read 5889 times)

SixZeroFour

Red N Code Smokey Joe
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
A big thank you goes out to Mr. @LightningBoldtz for the tip on this little beauty. Cheers Jeff!
Original Post

I ended up having a great conversation with the original owner Chuck and his wife Annie. Both fantastic people and very friendly right from the get go even though I was a crazy person calling from across the continent :) I first spoke with Annie but the kids were demanding her attention so she passed the phone off to Chuck - I knew it was going to be a great conversation when he literally answered the phone by saying "SO... do you want to know the story behind this little grill?" Of course I said "Absolutely!!"

He went on to tell me that that the grill was actually purchased brand new in Japan! in 91-92'! At the time he lived in a small apartment but was craving good old fashion BBQ from back home so he tracked down the SJ. Firing up a chimney in Japan apparently drew quite a bit of attention and he got all sorts of looks from the neighbours who thought he was crazy grilling on this little red kettle. It then returned home with him to Michigan a year or so later then travelled to Houston where he met and cooked for Annie while they dated! Next it followed Annie to Philadelphia, and then finally once they were married it returned back to Detroit! Chuck put it best when he said that this little grill has travelled more than most people!  8)

Anyways - we had a great chat and it was really nice meeting some new people from across the map!

This little Joe and the way it all went down is a great example of why I love this hobby so much...

and to Annie & Chuck - If you ever happen to read this thanks again for everything! :)

The original legs and pan were shot so I replaced them and then just did the usual clean up:

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Red N Code Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »
That looks great and even better with a story behind it, @Red Kettle Rich will be very jealous
One question though are the legs and Ashpan period correct?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
Right on. Pretty little Kettle and fine story.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »

Yes, these were stolen from an "O" code SJ and are identical to the ones that came with it. I actually had to Dremel the originals off as the wingnuts had seized and disintegrated making them impossible to remove.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
That's awesome! Two thumbs up for the SJ and The story.

Good snag!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »
Awesome, so glad it made it to you.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
That looks great and even better with a story behind it, @Red Kettle Rich will be very jealous

Hmm - according to the WKC SJ guide, those legs were last used in 1990.  The flat stock style started in 1991.   The kettle is an N code, which should mean that it has the flat stock style of legs.  That said, this could be another example of model year changeovers, or it could mean a new datapoint in the SJ timeline that I need to account for.

Good eye @Hogsy

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
What's really throwing me off is that I stole the legs from an "O" code Joe?! Here she is... What's left of her...

And the ones that came off the red were in real rough shape, I cant imagine they were replaced at any point.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:57:05 PM by SixZeroFour »

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
@Winz
@Hogsy

Nice pickup!  Jeff has a 1998 red smokey in the gallery with the same leg and ash pan style.  I believe it is a Dr. Pepper edition if that makes a difference.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
Yup, I'm Jealous 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »
Nice pickup!  Jeff has a 1998 red smokey in the gallery with the same leg and ash pan style.  I believe it is a Dr. Pepper edition if that makes a difference.

Another good catch but the 98' is a typo... supposed to be 88' (K) (Now Fixed!)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:27:40 PM by SixZeroFour »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »

Hmm - according to the WKC SJ guide, those legs were last used in 1990.  The flat stock style started in 1991.   The kettle is an N code, which should mean that it has the flat stock style of legs.  That said, this could be another example of model year changeovers, or it could mean a new datapoint in the SJ timeline that I need to account for.

Good eye @Hogsy

Winz

Thanks Craig....oops, I mean Winz  (you sounded just like him for a sec... 8))

Great story & kettle !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
Total compliment

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Red N Code Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 04:45:53 AM »

Good eye @Hogsy

Winz

Thanks Craig....oops, I mean Winz  (you sounded just like him for a sec... 8))

Great story & kettle !!!!

He's growing up so damned fast! :(    ;D

Seriously though, cool story and killer red SJ!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
congrats matt!
I only use kettles with lid bales.