Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie For the Kettle - Information?  (Read 1866 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie For the Kettle - Information?
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:36:58 AM »
Hello:

I finally decided that I don't need a new gas grill, that my cherished Weber Genesis 1000 is a quality product, and that with a few replacement parts over the years has performed flawlessly, or at least as flawlessly as the person doing the cooking, i.e. me.

So, to fill the void of what new bbq toy to get, I settled on a rotisserie unit for the kettle.

I'm thinking indirect setup with coal baskets on the sides, and a drip pan in the center.  Does anything else change, for example, the amount of coal or cooking time?  As far as adding more fuel, I guess you have to remove the middle part to add more coal?  Or do you simply dump the coals into the baskets while the meat is turning on the spit?

Thanks, as always, for your input.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Rotisserie For the Kettle - Information?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:53:59 AM »
I am still learning rotisserie cooking myself.  I have found that with the meat turning, there is no reason to have coals on both sides.
The lower left corner of this illustration gives an example:

When I have had to add coals I light them in a mini-chimney and either gently pour them, or use tongs to place them over the others.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
I use baskets and a drip pan with my rotisserie. I haven't done a long enough cook to add coals. Even when using a rib-o-lator it wouldn't be difficult to stop the roti where you needed it to add fuel. I like to keep clean up as easy as possible so that's the reasoning behind the drip pan set up in the second pic. I agree with jcnaz though, with the meat turning hot spots are eliminated so charcoal placement isn't going to make or break your cook.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »
Jeff:  From one neat freak to another, you're not alone.

Jcnaz:  thanks for the info.  It really helps.

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
@Eapples
Here is an option you may want to consider, a rotisserie that you can use on both your kettle and gas grill. 

www.spinarri.com - click here

As for adding more coal, the time it takes to cook kebabs or chicken legs, I usually don't need to add any coal.  If I'm doing multiple cooks I just drop a couple more lumps in the side when cooking without the grate.

As for positioning the coals, I just make a small pile with the radiant nature of charcoal it works out fine.

If you have any questions on Spinarri just ask.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:53:22 AM by Spinarri »
Ettore Spinarri

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie For the Kettle - Information?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:10 AM »
I also use the baskets and drip pan in the middle. If extra fuel is needed, I just toss it onto the existing coals, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker