Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding a rotisserie right into a kettle (edit added pics of kettle)  (Read 1984 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Hi all,
I need some advice and help.

Let me tell you what's up. I've got an '83 two tone red kettle that has some rust around one leg socket and some chipping. Because it's in a little bit of rougher shape I was thinking about adding a rotisserie directly into the kettle's sides (I do hate the idea of drilling into the kettle, [especially a red] but I don't want to invest in a ring). So if anyone has any advice or ideas about how to do this (pictures would be great too) I would be very appreciative. I'm thinking just drill holes for the mounting unit and perhaps cutting a notch on the other side of the spit rod.

I was also curious if anyone knew anything/had any personal experience with the "Master Forge 35-in Steel Grill Rotisserie". This is the one they sell at Lowes. This is the one I was thinking about getting.

Thanks in advance, Justin

Thought I'd add pictures of the kettle, the second one shows the rust on the leg socket

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:48:25 PM by WNC »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Adding a rotisserie right into a kettle (edit added pics of kettle)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »
A member has done this very thing that you want to do.
However, my memory is drawing a blank ...  :-\ :-\

Okay, I did a search and I think this is it. Here is the thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-id-help/msg120998/#msg120998
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:14:38 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Forget the rust. Navel jelly??

Yes, a dedicated roti could be pretty nice.

Regardless, I'd still invest a whopping $15 to install a replacement One Touch mechanism. You'll be able to control heat and save money on charcoal. Next month, after the extra is saved up, a couple handles!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/make-a-ham-on-your-$30-00-weber-rotisserie/msg93198/#msg93198

Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
A-T-S, I was thinking of putting in the one touch system, and I was even thinking of doing that thermometer mod too.

Einrej what did you use for the shims, and when you say put the motor on the left hand side am I right to assume that's the left by looking at the kettle with the front leg pointing at you?

Also, what do you all think of that master forge rotisserie?

Thanks again