Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle Trivia Question  (Read 4082 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Kettle Trivia Question
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
The other issue with direct cooking is that dripping fat gets burned and redeposited onto meat as a carcinogen contributor. Burned animal fat is definitely something you want to avoid eating a lot of.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:15 AM »
i don't think space is really the primary factor here..

over direct heat, dogs are going to cook and burn pretty fast.
You'll have to use a lower direct heat to buy yourself some time.

Even then, you'll still be tonging often. Sure you can 'roll' multiple dogs in a single motion to prevent burning, but at some point you will be picking up individual dogs and relocating them based on cooking speed.

I think your best bet is to a multi zone cook. Set up a single 22 in a two zone format. Bank the coals to keep the high heat in 1/3 of the grill.
When you put the dogs on, put them all on indirect and close the lid. Give them 5 to 10 minutes of indirect heat to cook (this time is going to depend on your heat level and type of hot dogs)
When you're ready, open up the lid and move dogs to direct heat to mark and color. This will go fast. You'll be moving them to heat, rolling them a bit to even the color, and removing them in a fast cycle until they're all done and properly marked.

This is actually a good idea. And I may end up doing it this way after all.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
The other issue with direct cooking is that dripping fat gets burned and redeposited onto meat as a carcinogen contributor. Burned animal fat is definitely something you want to avoid eating a lot of.

Huh? What? Say again ?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Link to source?
Fat drip smoke makes meat more delicious

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »
I usually do mine indirect if I want "tiger stripes" as my daughter calls them when they have light grill marks on them. Otherwise I get em nice and toasty over direct..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 05:23:13 AM »
*Fat drip smoke makes meat more delicious*

Well in that case, never mind, right?

This was discussed already. Google a phrase like "cancer grilling meat" to read more.

What you'll find is people have asked questions--sorry, no direct "proof" exists of causation--because it's EASY to test what happens to animal fat when it burns (which is very different than merely cooking it) The chemical structure is quite different, and it's why white smoke=bad, blue smoke=good.

There's also no direct proof smoking tobacco causes cancer, but no one says it's a good idea anymore.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »
from what i've read, it's really about charred proteins and fats. "black is bad"

i think the stretch to animal fat burning and producing cancer smoke is mostly media frenzy. Media constantly produces scare content because there's a huge audience of people that love to be scared. (look at the ebola situation)

pretty much everything these days causes cancer.
if we avoided everything that has had some 'proof' that it causes cancer, we'd live very shitty, boring lives.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
According to a discussion I had with a doctor cousin of mine, the risks are primarily to kids until they are through puberty. The carsinigions(s p) in the  charred meat and burned fat can have adverse affects on systems that are not fully developed. And like all things of this sort its how much you're exposed that determines the overall risk.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »
what you need to avoid is water. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.