Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Corn n tater ring cleaning  (Read 4480 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Corn n tater ring cleaning
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
Been looking for a corn n tater ring since about June when I got into this whole kettle thing. Been seeing them pop up on eBay every now and then, placed my bids, but always get beat. Not going to pay over $100 for one plus shipping. Was hoping to get one in the $50 range after shipping.
I had commented on another persons WTB post about wanting one and WKC member indy82z contacted me on a PM that he has a lead on one and if I wanted it, he could pick it up and ship it out to me. Of course I said yes. Lol. About a week later he sends me pictures of it and tells me it's mine. We figure out shipping and it arrives today. He offered it to me at a great price and didn't even want payment until I physically inspected it and made sure I wanted it. What a gentleman. Can't thank him enough.
Now on to the reason for this post, it's not a new inbox ring, so it's had some use, has surface rust on it pretty much everywhere. Nothing looks to bad to me, but I don't know much about rust and removing it. I might try the vinegar and water thing with some steel wool, but finding a container to soak it in and enough vinegar might be a challenge. Anybody got some other good techniques out there? Here are the pictures.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Corn n tater ring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »
@SixZeroFour is your man... I traded a C&T ring for another item, and he got that thing looking brand new!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
Pure White Vinegar. Maybe a tub that is big enough to soak it in.  It doesn't all have to fit in a t one time. Or a wire brush in a drill..
I use a $10 grinder with a wire brush attachment..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
Maybe line a kettle bowl or lid with plastic and soak it in there?  It'll fit pretty perfectly. 
One of the charcoal people.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »
A plastic trash bag ought to be big enough.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:36:52 AM »
Glad she arrived undamaged and I am just glad to help out another member. This board has restored my faith in people and I am just glad to be able to help out another member as I have been helped out so many other times from them.

Thanks again and enjoy the ring..

Tom

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »
Sorry for the late response here @Bob BQ @iCARRY  - All good idea's so far for sure!

Personally I like to at least attempt a cleaning without anything too acidic so step one for me would be a dish soap and hot water soak for 30min.

Then always try a test area ON THE UNDERSIDE of the ring just in case... you never know, it could be in worse shape than it looks! Just hit the same area with straight up steel wool and see what can be accomplished. If it comes fairly clean - awesome! - continue using the same method. If it's still pretty gunky then I'd move onto the vinegar or even soaking in rust penetrating spray for awhile then a HAND wire brush. Wire wheel on a drill would be a nightmare with a Corn n Tater! A dremel tool with a little wire wheel attachment might work...

The info below is also essentially the same procedure that you could use on the C&T as well:
http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

Keep us posted and ask any questions you have! Good Luck!

8)

You also need to update that signature of yours ;) :D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »
Glad she arrived undamaged and I am just glad to help out another member. This board has restored my faith in people and I am just glad to be able to help out another member as I have been helped out so many other times from them.

Thanks again and enjoy the ring..

Tom

You're a good man Tom! and a patient one as well - hope to have that parcel out to you early this week! ;)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
@SixZeroFour I will change my signature next time I get to a real computer.

I will definitely keep you posted on the progress. Might be a while. Busy trying to sell my house, buy a new one, and pack things up.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Getting there

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Wow that looks good.
May The Smoke Be With You!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
Looking good..glad to see it shined up. Nice job!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
Heck Yea! Looking great!!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »
Got a long way to go still. It's a lot of work. Wife thinks I am crazy.