Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best way to patch up holes  (Read 5489 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Best way to patch up holes
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
I've got a special one I am working on and there is a small hole at the weld point of one of the sockets about the size of a penny. Would JB Weld smoothed over said hole and some heat tape to finish it off do the trick?

Any tips would be appreciated. I cant wait to get this one ready and back to active duty.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Best way to patch up holes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
Would a bolt and nut with a washer work?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
Craig, I would use Brian's method, fender washers like he used on the old 18 MTH Red Head.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Craig-
I've filled holes like that with a welder.   I know it sounds harsh, but it can be done if you turn the heat down on the welder and go real slow.   

This isn't a very good picture, but this is a hole that was about the size of 2 quarters.   Welded shut, then carefully ground flat.   Luckily the porcelain was already chipped away, so there was no loss that way.

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Thanks guys! I will probably take a page from Brian's "Rise of the Phoenix" thread. More to come..

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
FWIW, I'm working on a MBH 18 that had penny size holes at each socket.

I put tape on the outside temporarily, and then JB Weld from the inside to fill the holes. Seemed to work OK for me.
Dude, relax your chicken.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
FWIW, I'm working on a MBH 18 that had penny size holes at each socket.

I put tape on the outside temporarily, and then JB Weld from the inside to fill the holes. Seemed to work OK for me.

Rick can the JB weld be sanded. How does it hold from the heat?

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I had luck with Blue Magic QuikSteel. It is purported to withstand 2400F, substantially more than the JB Weld which didn't work for me. Available at auto parts stores.
Uncommon sense seeker

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
I had luck with Blue Magic QuikSteel. It is purported to withstand 2400F, substantially more than the JB Weld which didn't work for me. Available at auto parts stores.

Was just going to post this. I have some at home and have used it on other high heat applications. Never to fill in a hole but to fill in a low spot or something along those lines. I was wondering how it held up on a kettle. I would say though from my experience with it and jb weld that the blue magic stuff holds up better.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
I used Quiksteel too but not on a kettle.  Used it on a motorcycle exhaust w/ limited success.  It's a liquid metal slurry that you have to mix first and then apply.  The first application held for a bit and when I went to reapply some, I found the remaining Quiksteel had dried up in the container.  So if you buy it, use it quickly as shelf life is only a few months. 

Oh and Argent, I don't know about the JB Weld but the Quiksteel can be sanded, drilled, painted, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:21:07 PM by salad »
WTB 18 fruit

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
I plan to try the Quicksteel on a repair, but knowing that metal and rust don't get along, I need to entiehr remove it neutralize it. My problem is at a bolt hole, so I plan to use a SS washer on the inside of the bowl as a backer.. We'll see how it goes.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..