Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe rust concern  (Read 2318 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Smokey Joe rust concern
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
I recently purchased a 10th anniversary Simpsons smokey joe off of ebay. I knew it was not in perfect condition when I bought it. Overall it is in really good condition. There are a few bare spots on the edge of the lid and the bottom of the bowl where the legs attach. I have not assembled it yet and was wondering if there was any risk of these spots rusting. Should I protect them with something before reassembling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Smokey Joe rust concern
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
This is the problem with SJ's .where the metal legs meet the bowl the porcelain seems to chip pretty easily. I wonder if this will be something that occurs with the new style euro bolt on lid handle.....
I wouldn't bother treating the metal, just keep it out of the weather and it'll be fine
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about rust, but if you're looking to cosmetically touch it up, John Deere Yellow paint is almost a perfect match to the Homer Yellow color (almost) but it won't be "high heat" resistant.   It doesn't even have to be JD-brand paint, just something in that shade of yellow.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about rust, but if you're looking to cosmetically touch it up, John Deere Yellow paint is almost a perfect match to the Homer Yellow color (almost) but it won't be "high heat" resistant.   It doesn't even have to be JD-brand paint, just something in that shade of yellow.

This is almost a perfect match for the Simpsons yellow, as well, and it's VHT (1300°-2000°F). My Homer Joe has porcelain damage/rust spots in almost all of the same spots as yours. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I put some bigger SS washer's between the bowl and the legs.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
I have a 31 year old wsm with the same chip on the leg bolt hole. As long as you keep it oiled/dry you'll be fine.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:01:57 AM »
Be sure to update the hardware to Stainless Steel.. It helps a lot.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..