Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nights like tonight are why I love collecting Webers  (Read 5771 times)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
Re: Nights like tonight are why I love collecting Webers
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Man, that is a moving story.  Bless her heart - I cannot imagine the pain she has endured.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
Great story. Good looking grill.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  Last night's pick-up was an eye opening lesson in perspective.  One I won't soon forget.

Man, that is a moving story.  Bless her heart - I cannot imagine the pain she has endured.

Out of respect, many parts of our conversation are going to remain just that, our conversation.  I will say that she mentioned on two separate occasions that "a parent just isn't wired to outlast their children.  It's not in our makeup."  The years had hardened her some.  She carried herself with what I can only describe as the most elegant "quiet strength".  But it was obvious the pain wasn't far beneath the surface.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
That's awesome.. The color of that JJ is irrelevant. Every time you cook on it,  you will be seeing a tall cold glass of lemonade..
You have to believe it was meant to be yours.. Give her our best!
 8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
Great story and pickup, Russell. There's nothing like starting off Kettle ownership with a great story. Cherish the kettle and make more good memories of your own.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
Great story and nice grill!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Great story! ....... There's a campground/store near my house, where they rent out cabins and RV sites. Stopped by for a 6 pack and 1 of the camping folks had a JJ smoking away on a picnic table visible from the parking lot, filled the air with BBQ!.... I wanted to go BS the group and get the history/info on it, but was in a hurry to get my kid to football practice on time..... 2.5 hours later, on the way home, it was still smoking away... Nobody around though...... Must have it dialed in 👍 Still wondering what he had going?

I want a JJ!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 11:51:47 PM »
Great story, and you bagged a rare puckerbutt!!!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
Thought I'd just throw up a couple quick pics of the maiden run on the JJ I picked up this week.  When ever I fire up one of the Webers at least a couple neighbors tend to come out and see what I've got cooking that day.  I had a great time telling them this grill's story and remembering the awesome experience from earlier this week.  Since the grill was Lilly's son's, I figured I'd kick of her career with a meat and potatoes guys meal.  Went and grabbed a nice bone-in ribeye and started the fire.  Grill worked amazing.  Food was amazing.  Thoughts that ran through my head while tending the grill were priceless.

Thanks again for everyone's kind replies and compassion.  I'll be sure to pass the sentiments along over my next pitcher of lemonade.

This is how Dad grocery shops when Mom is out of town.

Rollin'

Ready to eat!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
^^^ Ohhh, yeahhh.^^^
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »
Love everything about this post!

But DUDE, tell me 'bout them taters!! Is there corn in there, is that a regular CI pan or is that a shallow skillet? What's the story, I'm salivating over what's on that grill.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
Love everything about this post!

But DUDE, tell me 'bout them taters!! Is there corn in there, is that a regular CI pan or is that a shallow skillet? What's the story, I'm salivating over what's on that grill.

Thanks Mark.  The tots turned out pretty good.  Just par boiled some red potatoes.  Then cubed them up and tossed them with some olive oil, garlic and S&P.  Crumble in some goat cheese as you take it off the grill and voila! 

The pan was a rusty old CI fajita pan I got at a flea market probably 10 years ago.  Had forgotten all about it until I came across it in the garage last weekend and cleaned and reseasoned her up.  Worked great.