Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nights like tonight are why I love collecting Webers  (Read 5768 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
Nights like tonight are why I love collecting Webers
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
I responded to an ad today.  It was very vague.  Something to the effect of "Older Kettle Grill needs out of Garage".  No price, no picture, no nothing.  These are my favorite ads.  I love the anticipation of contacting the person and finding out what it actually is.  For me, the hunt is what it's all about.

Anyway I call the number and get what is obviously an older lady.  I start talking to her and try to get a little more information about the grill, but she says she doesn't know anything about them.  It's her son's and it's been sitting in her garage for 15 years and it needs to go.  If I want to know more I'd just have to stop by.  My curiosity is peaked now.  Could be a diamond, could be a turd but now I have to know one way or another.

I agree to stop by after work and as it turns out, I drive by this place every day on my way home.  I pull in the driveway of the address she gave me.  There on the porch of this beautiful Victorian house sat the lady I had spoken with on the phone.  If you look up Grandma in the dictionary you'll find this wonderful lady's picture.  I asked if I was in the right place and if I could take a look at her grill.  She didn't say a word, just motioned for me to have a seat.  So after sharing a pitcher of lemonade, a couple cookies and some great small talk she stood herself up and led me to her garage.

As soon as the garage door opened I saw the wood handle peeking through the packaging material on the ground.  I knew immediately it was an older Jumbo Joe.  I politely asked if I could uncover it and take a closer look.  She gave me a nod so I bent down and carefully unwrapped the plastic bubble wrap type material from it revealing a black Jumbo Joe like I thought.  I was a little disappointed in the color at first so it took me a minute to realize what amazing shape this kettle was in.

I turned around to ask the lady(her name was Lilly by the way), why her son was selling it?  It didn't even look used.  Then I noticed the tear running down her cheek.  I asked if everything was ok and that's when she told me she miss-spoke earlier.  Lilly went on to tell me it was her son's.  He had been living with her when he bought it 16 years ago but passed away unexpectedly very shortly after.  She said she wrapped it up in some of the packaging it came in and tucked it away in the garage all those years ago and wasn't even sure if it was ever used.  She stumbled across it this past weekend and decided it was time for it to go.

So after 20 more minutes of talking with her, showing her pictures of my family, trying to give her money, her refusing we finally came to an agreement.  I would take the grill on the promise that I stop back by occasionally for a lemonade.  Truly an awesome woman and amazing experience for the memory banks.  Lilly, I'm getting thirsty already.

This is what I found when I took the lid off.

Not a spec of dirt or grime on her.

EI code

Just one small problem...
PUCKERBUTT!!!

Quickly got that taken care of and she's now resting in the garage with some of the rest of the herd.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Nights like tonight are why I love collecting Webers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »

That right there just might be "Post of the Year"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
Great story.  Thanks for sharing.
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
A classic kettle AND a new friend. It has been a glorious evening!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
Russell, that is a very moving story and now you are the custodian of a very special kettle.  But even better, you made a new friend!  I hope you get the chance to cook her a dinner on the kettle some night.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Great pickup and even better story!

Rescue, Restore, Respect.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:14:29 PM by Craig »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
Very moving! That is a keeper to pass down generations. Do a cook for Lilly in memory of her son. Bring her some leftovers from the tribute. This is a grill with a story. Stories like this and many others shared, need a to be moved to a locked thread. It is to bad stories like this get buried way down the thread chain. Congrats on what will be always a memorable night.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
Such a great story Russell, thanks for sharing. And sweet JJ!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Absolutely amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
Wonderful story.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:22:24 AM »
While these kettles all hold alot of importance to us here at the WKC, we often times forget the importance, emotional value and meaning that they had to previous owners! Whether it be a beautiful faded redhead passed down from grandfather to grandson or it be a plain jane  black 18.5 OTS, at some point someone made a conscious decision to buy Weber and most likely became attached to it in some way. That to me is what the respect part of rescue, restore, respect is all about, remembering where these kettles have come from and the stories they have to tell.

Great story Russell,  just a great story!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:23:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing that emotional touching story. 

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:10 AM »
Awesome!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:33:22 AM »
What a gift you shared with each other. The grill and your compassion.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »
Great story & nice JJ!!! Cook her up some dinner to go with the lemonade.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow