Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4th of July brisket  (Read 2518 times)

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
4th of July brisket
« on: July 05, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
In the past, I have had fair (but inconsistent) results cooking a brisket with indirect heat and smoke on a New Braunfels horizontal smoker.  Fast forward to my discovery of WKC and expanding my horizons with a Weber Performer. 

I lit the 2+2+1 Kingsford and applewood snake at 8:30pm and it came up to 250* very nicely.  Checked at 3:30am, cycled the ash sweep and it returned from 225* to 250*.  Pulled it at 7:30am, placed it in the cooler with 4 towels until 5:30pm.  I did cheat and drop a heating pad in the cooler on low at about 4:00pm.

Sliced and served the USDA Prime 10 pounder and watched the 25 guests and kids make it disappear.  The rub was Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub, Ground black pepper, and Lawry's Seasoned salt.  Never made it to the sauce, the bark was perfect and the entire brisket was moist.  No leftovers  :-[

Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to do so with iPhoto. Struck out with iPhoto and went with Picasaweb...

Some of the Turds were stuffed with shrimp. Nice texture but lost in the creme cheese and Jap.  The chickens went on the gas 330 roti with a firebox of applewood.  Came out super moist in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Gonna use mesquite (not green) and a honey rub or glaze for the chicken next time.

Full disclosure:  This is an earlier snake.  Same technique used this time.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:02:27 PM by rivercityjeff »
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 4th of July brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
 Man, that would be great to see......sorry that I'm not tech savvy enough to help out......somebody knows the sequence for iPhoto, I'm sure.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
I can't help with iPhoto which is too bad. I'd like to see what yours looked like. The standard way to post here is to host at a third party site and post a link to the URL between IMG tags. I use Google Picasaweb/Google+ (same backend, different web page) which works well on an Android phone because my pictures upload automagically. I don't know if Google apps on the iPhone work that way though.

I have an NBBD (New Braunfels Black Diamond) and when choosing my weapon this morning Iseriously considered using it. I went with the 18 WSM instead. I wanted to just set it up and let it go rather than having to tend all day. (Yes, lazy.) But that did mean I had to cut the 14.75 lb packer in half to fit the grate. I'm sure I violated some unwritten rule doing that because I've never ever seen or heard of anyone else doing that. <shrug> Works for me.

I almost had a 4th of July brisket but... lazy. ;D
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »

Hank, before I understood brisket (still don't actually  ::) :-[ :o )  I would separate the point & flat, like so:

..........only before cooking.........I always get this picture in my head of "in half" as in half lengthwise...........

so you cut straight down & had most of the flat & then the point with a little bit of flat?

I saw your cookup, looks pretty nice, but can't quite tell the cutting?

R C Jeff, if you see any place in the system you're using that has facility to display { IMG } codes on either end of the photo's tag, then copy that here in the posting box & click "Preview" to check if it's working.............being a troglodyte from the past century, that's the best i can do...........

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Got the picture thing smashed, I see. Looks good!

With apologies for the hijack...

so you cut straight down & had most of the flat & then the point with a little bit of flat?

Pretty much just put it in front of me east-west and cit across it north-south. I've never been quite sure where the flat ends and the point starts.
kettles, smokers...

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »
Hank,

One suggestion is to cut a small corner (across the grain) on the flat before the brisket is smoked.   That way you know where to line up the following cuts.   Might work to a lesser extent with the grain on the point.
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »
Excellent color on the brisket....looks nice & 'Turds & chickens, too !!!

Great Cookup !!!!

Sorry also for the hijack......get us talking w/o a picture to focus on...... :o

Hank, if you look at that breakdown pic I sent, the point is on the left, upside down, the flat on right......the open areas with no bark is at the line of fat that separates them..............

It's a little tricky before it's cooked, but if you just go slow & follow the fat line, it's easy enough to find & cut.........goes at an angle, maybe 60 degrees from the flat................

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
Slicing Point
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
1buckle,

Here's point slicing technique I "borrowed" from the Virtual Weber Bullet forum:

The Texas Turn

Down in Texas, some pitmasters don't like to separate the flat and point sections. Instead, they start by slicing the brisket flat across the grain, and just as they hit the point section, they turn the brisket 90° and slice across the grain of the point. This results in a slice of meat containing both point and flat, where the point is cut precisely across the grain, but the flat is cut at an angle across the grain.
Tan Q2200

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Thanks, RC Jeff.....good piece of info right there.........the thing I was mainly talking about was if someone wanted to  separate them cleanly before cooking, but a cutting schedule for whole also really helps clarify things................

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
That's a tasty look brisket there!