Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).  (Read 7927 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
The master-touch is not popular here?  Get rid of the performer silver and bring back the mastertouch.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Regarding colour selection, could it have something to do with manufacturing regulations (similar to no longer making red's?) or are all the kettles made and enameled in the same place?

I sure can't make sense of their sales strategy... seems like they are missing out big time in their strongest market.

I could be wrong but I could have SWORN there were some photos or something from inside the factory in the US where the kettles are enameled and there were kettles of all types of colors there.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
I also think that the options/accessories that were available here in the 60s-70s, was Weber being ahead of their time. The public at large was still only grilling the basics. Meat and only meat. Convenience food was the order of the day and ruled the roost back then. TV Dinners, instant pudding etc. We  [american consumers back then] perhaps weren't  ready or willing to tackle turkey or breakfast on the kettle (or a gas grill) back then or even stir fry, though George and company knew it all worked. This could account for the hoards of BNIB NOS accessories cropping up. I can't imagine the accessories we all want and crave now were that successful sales wise when they were readily available at the hardware store in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Plus who was going to tell Grandma that hosted Thanksgiving every year that the turkey for that year was going to be cooked on a grill instead when she had done it successfully for 40 years in an oven that she enjoyed doing? I don't know, maybe she would have enjoyed a year off, but we'll never know.

Very good points, Craig.

Makes wonder if the gas grill craze is over and has plateaued ?
No substitute for genuine, low & slow BBQ and there might just be an awakening going on.
Hope so.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Sounds like someone too far down the food chain to properly answer the question.

My thoughts exactly.  Working in a field where we are constantly shipping overseas, I can tell you international shipping on anything larger than a piece of paper is expensive.  If Weber really wanted to test products for the US, they would utilize groups like this forum.  I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers who would pay the maufacturing cost of an item to test it and have it before the general public.

We are definately moving away from gas, while it is convenient more people are seeking out artisnal crafted products.  The same is true in how we prepare our food too.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:07 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/made-america-weber-grills/story?id=13624175

So there's a small weber workforce in Europe. And that's seems to be where Weber is pushing product at right now.

They just started selling in India ? Nothing to fear cows !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:08:20 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
    I believe they burn cow dung in their cookers in India, talk about lump ....

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
    I believe they burn cow dung in their cookers in India, talk about lump ....
  :o

One of the things that I really love about this place is that no matter how professional, serious and business like a thread gets, there is always someone willing to bring it back to reality!   ;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »
Sounds like someone too far down the food chain to properly answer the question.

My thoughts exactly.  Working in a field where we are constantly shipping overseas, I can tell you international shipping on anything larger than a piece of paper is expensive.  If Weber really wanted to test products for the US, they would utilize groups like this forum.  I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers who would pay the maufacturing cost of an item to test it and have it before the general public.

If Weber used WKC members as a market test, they would get some very skewed results.  And that is really what we are talking about here, not product development.

I agree G$- Skewed towards AWESOME  :P

Regarding colour selection, could it have something to do with manufacturing regulations (similar to no longer making red's?) or are all the kettles made and enameled in the same place?

I sure can't make sense of their sales strategy... seems like they are missing out big time in their strongest market.

I could be wrong but I could have SWORN there were some photos or something from inside the factory in the US where the kettles are enameled and there were kettles of all types of colors there.

This is the pic you are thnking of:

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mud

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Have you guys been anywhere in Europe?
Generally speaking, Europeans are quite different than americans.

Europeans don't go outside wearing sneakers/tennis shoes unless they're going to the gym or to play tennis.

There is a deep sense of culture and sophistication that supports a market for more exotic products.
Meals in Europe are celebrations. They're special.

In america, people throw away their old grills or post them on craigslist as "webber bbq - $20" (no pics, no details, no correct spelling). Shit, sometimes the grill isn't even a Weber!

On this site - we're surrounded by people who appreciate the colors, the food, the families, etc.
While typical 'muricans have only grilled hot dogs, brats, burgers, and steaks - we're planning and cooking entire meals
But we're enthusiasts, and unfortunately we don't represent the rest of the weber charcoal grill market.
It seems that this site is growing the enthusiast crowd, and Weber is adjusting. This year there's a crimson red, and those pizza ovens are popping up in select cities.
The more enthusiasts we have, the more Weber will adjust!

Aside from the extreme cultural difference - there are a lot of logistics involved. American weber distribution is dense. Weber products are carried at every hardware store, department store, furniture store, sporting good store, and even convenience stores. In Europe, authorized dealers are fewer and far between. Managing inventory and distribution is likely a big reason in itself.
... not to be confused with bill or jack or pete or dennis

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
Have you guys been anywhere in Europe?
Generally speaking, Europeans are quite different than americans.

Europeans don't go outside wearing sneakers/tennis shoes unless they're going to the gym or to play tennis.

There is a deep sense of culture and sophistication that supports a market for more exotic products.
Meals in Europe are celebrations. They're special.

In america, people throw away their old grills or post them on craigslist as "webber bbq - $20" (no pics, no details, no correct spelling). Shit, sometimes the grill isn't even a Weber!

On this site - we're surrounded by people who appreciate the colors, the food, the families, etc.
While typical 'muricans have only grilled hot dogs, brats, burgers, and steaks - we're planning and cooking entire meals
But we're enthusiasts, and unfortunately we don't represent the rest of the weber charcoal grill market.
It seems that this site is growing the enthusiast crowd, and Weber is adjusting. This year there's a crimson red, and those pizza ovens are popping up in select cities.
The more enthusiasts we have, the more Weber will adjust!

Aside from the extreme cultural difference - there are a lot of logistics involved. American weber distribution is dense. Weber products are carried at every hardware store, department store, furniture store, sporting good store, and even convenience stores. In Europe, authorized dealers are fewer and far between. Managing inventory and distribution is likely a big reason in itself.

Great post, Mud!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »

The track pants and cigarette smoking are a wonderment.

:)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
I think that between WKCrs, the plethora of other BBQ forums, and the ever growing "foodie" community, I am optimistic that the quest for authenticity in the art of cooking and BBQ is slowly putting a damper on the convenience craze.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
Not to mention all the garbage that's in convenience and processed foods. We consumed them without question for nearly 60 years. There's so many more choices now due to public awareness and demand. But that's a whole other topic...

Speaking of processed food: I've still got a sneaking love for pizza rolls... :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Not to mention all the garbage that's in convenience and processed foods. We consumed them without question for nearly 60 years. There's so many more choices now due to public awareness and demand. But that's a whole other topic...

Speaking of processed food: I've still got a sneaking love for pizza rolls... :)

hot pockets and pizza rolls are my comfort food
:)

Franks

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
Just my 2c worth from this side of the Pond.....here in the UK we generally pay in £ what you guys pay in $. Now given an exchange rate of around 1.60$ to the £, that's quite a mark up.

In this case there is also a good price hike. For example, a One touch Gold is selling at Homedepot for $149, whereas the equivalent is being sold at our Homebase for £200 ($320).

That price difference makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it!!

The only reason more isn't sold here, is that the Market size of the whole of the Uk is probably less than just one State in the U.S.
Frank