Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning Rusty Triangles Using Electrolysis  (Read 7087 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Cleaning Rusty Triangles Using Electrolysis
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
It has to be one of the most painful parts of restoring a kettle especially if your sanding them back by hand. I also like to use original parts rather than buying new( that's code for 'I'm a Tightass')
So I thought I'd try a different technique, a mate from work suggested it and a quick search on the net revealed plenty of 'How To' videos.
Here's what I used-

And some washing soda-

After trying 3 different battery chargers I found this older style with the dial works the best. The newer chargers have a switch that trips out where as this one worked great-

The setup-
Fill with water till triangle is fully submerged and add 1-2 teaspoons of Washing soda per 1 gallon of water
 Anode- attach a sacrificial piece of steel (not gal or SS)to the positive
Canode- attach some wire to the triangle and then to the negative. Don't let the negative alligator clips touch the water as it will dissolve
Make sure triangle and anode don't touch
Turn the charger on and you should start seeing bubbles on the anode and triangle within 30secs

First triangle, this one was pretty bad , pretty much all the chrome was gone and the wheels were seized onto the axle-

After 4hrs all the rust was gone, I gave it a quick hose down and wiped it with a cloth,this is how it looked-

Now that your left with rust free bare metal it's time to give it a finish
I gave it a coat of Cold-Gal, then a coat of etching primer-

And then a coat of silver enamel paint-

And here it is next to a new triangle-

Not a perfect match and there is still some pitting but it's rust free and should stay that way for a long time
This was a fun little experiment and takes the hard work out of cleaning up a triangle. It's hard work getting all the rust of a triangle especially where the bars meet.
The two main tips for this technique( I found this out after two earlier failed attempts) is a charger that won't trip and make sure you use washing soda and not baking soda. I think Arm & Hammer make it in the states
Because I had most bits on hand it only cost me $4 for the washing soda.
Pretty happy with the result and will be using this technique again

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:46:35 PM by Hogsy »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Golly

• WKC Performer
Re: Cleaning Rusty Triangles Using Electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »
grate work hogsy

i will drop off 1/2 a dozen triangles of mine just so you can test your method thoroughly
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »
Nice work! I gave up scrubbing triangles until my fingers were raw in favor of a quick wash and some Rustoleum.  Agreed that this is the hardest part to clean, with the ash catcher being #2 on the PIA to clean list... Feels great to see them come back to life.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip. This will make life easier for sure.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
Fantastic idea! Very nice work Hogsy
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
I restore cast iron and use this process ..I use 20 Mule team powdered soap it's fairly available at most stores and I have an old sears charger , the new ones suck for this. I use  inexpensive metal strapping and make a ring to surround an item , works killer . Do your homework there's some danger and it can ruin some types of metal, like SS and chrome , it's not for everything .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:25:24 AM »
Great tip! Thanks for the write up and pics. Well done.

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »
Good idea, I've seen that dome before to restore old power tools.

This method seems interesting too http://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Rust-with-Citric-Acid/

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:57 PM »
That looks awesome!

I've used Evaporust on a lot of motorcycle parts and it also works well in my experience. You can get it in quarts or gallon bottles. Just put it in a plastic tub or whatever, throw your parts in, let them sit for a few days and you're done.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-quart-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96433.html

PeterH

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
This looks like something I need to do too.
Any chance we can get the photos re-posted (not from photo bucket)?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
@Hogsy your images are disappearing.

It's time to ditch photobucket. You can sign up at http://pics.weberkettleclub.com. It'll be a separate account from your forum account.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
What a tease for those who haven't seen the finished product.
You've sparked my interest, get those pictures back up. Please.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »

It's time to ditch photobucket. You can sign up at http://pics.weberkettleclub.com. It'll be a separate account from your forum account.
Happy to do that @addicted-to-smoke but do I have to go through and reload every photo I’ve posted ?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »

Happy to do that @addicted-to-smoke but do I have to go through and reload every photo I’ve posted ?

Of course, doesn't that sound fun? This forum, and zillions of others across the Internet, are since 2016 littered with non-images hosted from them now.

Photobucket has a "download library" feature that, guess what, does not work. If you want any of your images, they'll have to downloaded individually and then re-uploaded elsewhere and re-linked.

I hated them when they were a free service, and they're worse now.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
Must try this, thanks for sharing.
May The Smoke Be With You!