Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Top handle  (Read 2201 times)

KsDan

• Smokey Joe
Top handle
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »
I bought my kettle used about a year ago in fair condition. The top handle had started getting a little loose over the past month, and yesterday it came off. I ended up riveting the top handle on with steel rivets this afternoon.

Has anyone used rivets to connect top handle to a lid? Are there better options?

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Top handle
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
I'd imagine the rivets would work just fine. If not, Brian (zavod) makes exact replicas that you can screw on. Great handles too.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm guessing you are talking about the whole handle that is welded to the lid? If so, how old is your kettle weber has a very good warranty/customer service department, I'd say one if the best. You may want to give them a call.
A Wonderful Family!!!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
I think he means the metal strap handle itself is coming loose from the lid. Right? I know a bunch of us have used SS bolts to secure a failed-weld handle, but I would think rivets might do the job just as well. The only down side is the amount of purchase they can effect given the diameter of the rivet head. I suppose you could add SS washers to the rivet to spread out the load. I'm sure someone here has been there - done that.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

If it's the metal strapping part of the handle and the spot welds are coming loose, the rivets work like a charm. Duke turned me on to the rivets. Here's my 26 chief... The handle is tighter now than when it was welded. And these 26 lids are heavy...

3/16" rivets with a backer plate

Under the hood...

I used a Stanley rivet gun, there is also an Ace hardware brand gun. I have riveted a couple handles and most recently a broken socket on a redhead... Same size rivets..

These rivets can be painted to match, I just haven't painted these yet.

KsDan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
Yes, the whole metal top handle, strap and all. 

The rivets are working fine, and the fish is almost done.

I wouldn't feel right making a warranty claim since it's evident the previous owner's dog used the handle as a chew toy.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »

Yeah, it happens....the dawgs got to this one too....

Had to carve out another one:

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »

Is that a beef rib bone being used as a handle?  If so that is SO cool!!!  I may have to steal your idea.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »

Here's the rest of the story, MrHoss......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/out-west-we-call'em/msg27571/#msg27571

Cool story !

Dog 1
"Hehehe....did ya see where he hid the bone this time ?"

Dog 2
"Yup <chuckle>"