Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally Nabbed One Myself!!  (Read 3604 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Finally Nabbed One Myself!!
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
Well, this was listed in the Craigslist for Fort Wayne. I just happened to see it and pounced quickly. She was asking $35 and the ad said they had only cooked on it twice. I didn't tell her how old it was till I had it in my hands. It's in even better shape than the photos show. There are just a few nicks on the lid rim. The dark spots on the bowl are just sauce. The inside is lightly gunked, very lightly. I'm thinking around 1970 with patent number and old style plastic wheels .

It pains me to say this, but as much as I love this thing and want to keep it, I think it'll be cleaned up and put on ebay when I can get around to it. I'll give everyone here notice first. As much as I love looking at everyone else's collections and envy them, I've decided that I'll only keep cookers instead of lookers. If this one had some more nicks and dings I'd keep it for a cooker, but it's just too nice for that. With a three year old running around there are too many opportunities to knock it over.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:49:36 PM by Mark Schnell »

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Finally Nabbed One Myself!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
It is beautiful Mark.  Thanks for sharing.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
That's a beautiful grill Mark. It will be safe with me. I'll PM you my address, just let me know the shipping. ;)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
that thing is freaking sweet!!

I would be really tempted to buy it and turn it into a midget!!
It'd make the perfect beach goer

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
That's a beautiful grill Mark. It will be safe with me. I'll PM you my address, just let me know the shipping. ;)
Don't trust him! He has a little kid at his house.  I on the other hand have no little kids to worry about.
But seriously, that's a sweet looking grill. It will do well on eBay. It belongs in a safe place.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Hey Mark. Nice score! I'd encourage you to keep it if you can. I've heard of so many regrets of people that have let prized kettles go, only to never have a chance to get them back again. Maybe you and your kid can cook on it together in a few years. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:40:22 AM »
Yes, I'd be keeping it, it's beautiful and a one off
But I got the 'itis' bad!!!
Good luck with what ever you do. It's a great grill and a great find
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
That grill is awesome
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »
Luckily I don't have time to get to it right now so I wouldn't be selling it right away anyways. That way I can think it over for a while. I might set it next to my C and B Performer and decide they belong together - brothers from another mother or something like that. :D

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:46:42 AM »
Nice find!

Andy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:08:04 AM »
 Wow, beautiful! Congratulations on a great find.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
That is a nice one, great score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:21 AM »
That's a sweet Lime, Mark!!  8) That could easily go either cooker or looker. Maybe it could be the grill your 3 year old could cut their cooking teeth on someday. I too have a 3 year old and he has his eyes locked on my reds, especially the 18 which happens to be a family heirloom. He's excited that he's now taller then it. Maybe the lime could be enjoyed and passed down...  ;)

Age: Best estimate I can give (based on lime color and lid vent combination) is 1974-75. What style turn tabs do the daisy wheels have? Single small tab or large dual tabs?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:22:25 AM by Craig »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
Hey Mark. Nice score! I'd encourage you to keep it if you can. I've heard of so many regrets of people that have let prized kettles go, only to never have a chance to get them back again. Maybe you and your kid can cook on it together in a few years. :)

I agree, use it to make some memories..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
Looks really nice Mark!  I think you should keep it.  I've been looking for one for a while and they are hard to find.  You can choose to keep it a looker or cooker, but I think you should do a nice cook on it before you clean it up!  Something really tasty!   ;D