Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: RANCH KETTLE!!  (Read 3528 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
RANCH KETTLE!!
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a ranch kettle next week when I am on vacation. My question to you ranch owners are: the exact measurements of the kettle, ground to top of lid handle, front to back and side to side at the outer most points. This may be to good of a deal to pass up but if I have to rent a trailer to haul it, it may not be worth it. Thanks to all in advance.
A Wonderful Family!!!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: RANCH KETTLE!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Measuring...   Be back in 2 minutes
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Peas-
Here are some of the more important measurements: 

Ground to top of lid handle: 43"
Ground to top of lid (handle removed): 41"
Ground to top of kettle with lid removed:  31.5

The magic number as far as the width is concerned is 38".   Everything else can be quickly unbolted to get to that base figure of 38".

Something to keep in mind:
What are you going to be driving during this vacation?  These grills are very wide, but aren't very tall.  If you remove the lid and start unbolting the legs you could easily fit this in the back seat of a standard sedan.  I've never seen the box these come in, but I bet the lid would 'nest' inside the kettle-bottom pretty well.  The legs are then just a bunch of square tubes.   A couple of smaller crescent wrenches would probably be all you'd need to do the deed.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:08:37 PM »

Peas-
Here are some of the more important measurements: 

Ground to top of lid handle: 43"
Ground to top of lid (handle removed): 41"
Ground to top of kettle with lid removed:  31.5

The magic number as far as the width is concerned is 38".   Everything else can be quickly unbolted to get to that base figure of 38".

Something to keep in mind:
What are you going to be driving during this vacation?  These grills are very wide, but aren't very tall.  If you remove the lid and start unbolting the legs you could easily fit this in the back seat of a standard sedan.  I've never seen the box these come in, but I bet the lid would 'nest' inside the kettle-bottom pretty well.  The legs are then just a bunch of square tubes.   A couple of smaller crescent wrenches would probably be all you'd need to do the deed.

Thanks so much for this. We will be in my wife's Chevy traverse. I was hoping to fit it in the back with the third row seat down. I'm hoping I can make this work. Maybe a quick stop by the thrift store for a few old blankets and I can make it fit.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
Harbor Freight sells some cheap tarps as well.. Don;t forget some Wd-40. If the bolts are rusty, you might need to help them a bit..
Good Luck with it!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »
Don't forget some Wd-40. If the bolts are rusty, you might need to help them a bit..

If this grill has been stored outside, and you're in contact with the current owner, I would ask if they would be willing to hose the bolts down with some penetrating oil.  By the time you get there, things should just spin apart.

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
Harbor Freight sells some cheap tarps as well.. Don;t forget some Wd-40. If the bolts are rusty, you might need to help them a bit..
Good Luck with it!
 8)

I'd recommend passing on the WD-40 as it's not a penetrating oil.  Go with something like PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep...trust me, working on cars in MN has taught me a thing or two about rusted bolts!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
That's exciting news, Peas.  Hope you bring a rancher to the MAC crew.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
The ranch comes apart pretty easily! You can save a few inches real quick by taking off the bail and the wheels or flipping the lid into to bowl (remove the handles first) harbor freight moving blankets are cheap and will protect the rk real well. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
Your a WKC member, you will make it work! Good Luck!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »
Bring it home!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »
I really hope that you get this!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »
Make it work!  Your wife can always catch a bus home. ;D

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
Good Luck with it!
 8)

I'd recommend passing on the WD-40 as it's not a penetrating oil.  Go with something like PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep...trust me, working on cars in MN has taught me a thing or two about rusted bolts!

I 2nd the PB Blaster I use it at work and it is a life saver.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
Good Luck with it!
 8)

I 2nd the PB Blaster I use it at work and it is a life saver.
KROIL is another one....order direct....hard to find locally.