Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate to vent temp ideas?  (Read 2059 times)

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
Grate to vent temp ideas?
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
I'm getting a 50 degree temp difference from indirect grate level to lid\vent temp when banking coals for smoking. Does anyone do anything that could redirect more heat over instead of up and out? Since I know the difference it's not a big deal , just being picky.  Maybe a shorter drip pan for more air flow under or tinfoil a fourth of the grate over the coals? I did some spicy baby backs last night that were awesome. Grate was 230 , lid was 280. I was just wanting to be more efficient.
91 kettle black , 22.5 OTG black, 18.5 OTS black, 76 Red Head MBH, 18.5in Smokey Mountain .

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grate to vent temp ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »

One simple thing is to keep the upper vent across from where the coals are, you may already be doing that....

Foil all across the charc grate, except where the coals are going to go feeds the airflow toward the coal pack & then the intake vents can be closed down a little more.....not sure if that will actually help with a difference, though?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
Great idea 1buckie. So do you think this is where daisy wheels beat out the one touch? One wheel under the coals cracked and the other closed? Maybe I can do a side by side  test and see what holds a grate level temp better.  ;D
I keep the vent over the food side and then have a dial thermometer in the vent, a grate thermometer , a remote temp probe though the vent for the meat and the built in lid. Used to have a webcam setup so I could see smoke levels at all times but the neighbors didn't like being in the background.
91 kettle black , 22.5 OTG black, 18.5 OTS black, 76 Red Head MBH, 18.5in Smokey Mountain .

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »

Man, that's a lot of electronical stuff.....I couldn't do that.....would get tangled up in the wires & fall down...... :o

No matter what I'm doing, I stop & think where I want the coals.......spread between two vents, daisy or One Touch.....or more centered on one single vent for either system......just a little air for lower heat, maybe then just the one vent......more possible flow & more range of control, then utilizing two vents.....depends on what's up at the time......most always w/ the exhaust vent across from the burn..........

Chained or snake smoking, might be all the vents crimped down a bit, with the top open, top always all open, except for VERY rarely in overheated situations.....or more likely, all vents, all open & the burn & heat are determined by the amount of coals set to burn...........

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
And check your therms for accuracy....boiling water test.
On my grill, often the lid temp is lower than at grate level.

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Some great advice . Thanks .I did verify that they are working correct . I'm gonna give the daisy wheels a shot with the tinfoil grate and one wheel cracked and see if I can get a more effective burn .

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »

Ok....here's an example.....not the only way, not the best way, just an example...............

Corn 1st, run for awhile, then set on the sear grate & leave open briefly, then cap with the vent OVER the coals.........

It will have more airflow up thru the coals as the exhaust vent is right above them & things are free-flowing, not by a huge difference, but some...........

Begin to cook & turn the vent back the other way, temp will drop slightly, as the air travels up thru, across the food & out.......

Came out peachy.....

I realize you're looking for a bit of a different piece of info, but this kinda explains a part of it.....if I need the coal pack to build up heat, vent over the pack.........

here's also Mark's (MacEggs) foil blockings......he's pretty good at figuring out  baffles & drip deflectors & the like....I believe others have done similar things also.............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/smoked-cheese-attempt/msg82244/?topicseen#msg82244

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/my-first-kettle-cooked-turkey/msg85856/?topicseen#msg85856

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Dang that looks good! I really like the sear grate. I like to leave the husk on my corn and toss it on semi indirect . Steams them in their own husk and brings out more flavor. their done when the husks turn crispy brown . Tinfoil and the butter bath is really good too though. You would think living Iowa I would eat lots of it but its a buck an ear at the grocery store even though I'm surrounded by it. Seems silly.