Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OK......Pie.............  (Read 2514 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
OK......Pie.............
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »

After getting tips, pointers & schooling from OT Platinum here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/brownies!/

I finally got round to the pie !!!

In talking it over last nite, the wife had also brought out a half chicken & two small packs of wings from the freezer.....all that?

I talked her down to just the wings & she says: " Ok, I'll do those, like, early....like 7:30 (AM !!)

What?   Ended out being a more reasonable 10:30....

Set up Stubby for her & she did them outside....Big Ron's Hint of Huston coating.......

Then later in the day, the pie.....I think I remember doing box brownies & maybe a few other things a long time ago, but never this kind of stuff......

Regular 2fer pie crust & start layering stuff in........Aidell's roast garlic & Gruyere sausage slices, tomato & various cheese.....

Also did this with the tomatoes, as her pie had a ton of liquid.......

Set up like so, but this ended up being not really enough....only produced about 250....

Up on two foodsafe firebricks & after 1/2 hour, added more lit coal & 2 chunks of cherry wood....
 Took about an hour & 25 minutes, would be less if starting @ 350 like after the coals were added...
Therm @ 12 o'clock is 350f....

OK.....done.....

Additional spicings were a little bacon salt, granulated garlic & Grill-Mates Woosty/Pepper on each layer in the fixup......
Came out real nice, but OT Platinum's right about cast iron.....this didn't burn at all, but the pan was cool when it went in, ran at lower heat for a time & all that may or may not be hard to reproduce.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: OK......Pie.............
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
That looks very delicious!

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »
That looks pretty damn good to me! ;D Do you have another way to raise up your pan than using bricks? The only reason I ask is that they will block/absorb heat from the bottom of your cooking surface...in this case the pie pan ( which is cool as hell looking by the way!). I use my Hovergrill now but I used to use my charcoal baskets turned upside down to lift up skillets or pans closer to the dome...this allows the convection action to get all around your food.  Now that you have done up your first pie....when do we get to see your first dessert pie/cake?
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
I am sitting here at work waiting to clock in....the more I look at your pics.....I am going to have to steal your recipe! 8) That looks very yummy and it looks bad for you...which means it MUST be great tasting!
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
 Yeah, this was/is really good......no where near as juiced up as the wife's previous ones.....if you'd like it much more juicy then just don't bleed out the tomatoes on towels like that......

I thought about the upside down baskets also, but thought this time I might just try this......might have helped to keep the cast iron from skyrocketing heat, so maybe it was a good thing......

Only thing I would change as far as additions & such to the actual fixup is use a little less spices inside.....didn't put in much, but did each layer & it added up to just a bit more than needed.....

the cooking part, I'm just getting started on understanding that, but it will be done on a kettle that I can guarantee will hold solid temp, that much I'm sure......
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:53:27 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
looks delicious buckie.  very hearty!   ;D