Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bourbon-glazed smoked chicken  (Read 1583 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Bourbon-glazed smoked chicken
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
I was at the library this week, and bumped into the updated version of Ruhlman's 'Charcuterie'.  My wife and I were scheming on how to do our own corned beef, so I brought it home and flipped through it. 
http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Salting-Smoking-Revised-Updated/dp/0393240053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395020156&sr=8-1&keywords=ruhlman+charcuterie

I also had an extra chicken hanging around and a few days before I could cook it, so I gave his recipe for smoked chicken with a bourbon glaze a try.  It starts with an 18-hour brine, then a day or so drying in the refrigerator.  Then on some 200-degree smoke and a couple coats of the bourbon/maple syrup/brown sugar glaze to finish.  I also went ahead and practiced my deboning skills, figuring this would allow the brine to penetrate better and make a fancy presentation on the plate.

Trussed up and on the WSM. 

It's been way too long since I had the cover off of this beauty.  Sweet apple wood smoke swirling all around.

Halfway through, and not looking too appetizing.

That's more like it...

The galantine-style chicken makes such wonderful slices. 

Daddy took the best piece for his plate:   the end of the breast and the beginning of the thighs. 

It was delicious, but quite rich:  sweet and salty, for sure (I should have expected as much from a book called 'Charcuterie').  It reminded me of country ham, actually.  Not sure if I'd serve it again as an entree, might be better as an appetizer or on a cheese platter or something.  But a really fun cook, for sure-- I got it off just as the snow was starting to fly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:54:42 PM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bourbon-glazed smoked chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
That looks amazing!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
Holy shat, that is an excellent cook. Kudos, Mike. Pics of Honesuki, please!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

cjm7171

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
Impressive!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Looks incredible.  Did you make that table for your WSM?