Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do You Segregate Your Grills?  (Read 4357 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: Do You Segregate Your Grills?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »

Pretty sure almost all kettles are black underneath.....the Red ( or whatever) is an extra coating over that.......

At extreme heat, they're more likely to blow out the porcelain & chip......most often happens at the weld points for the grate supports inside ~~~>

but also all along the area where one would bank coals~~~>

It will happen commonly on black kettles, but as far as I can tell, perhaps the thicker coating of a color one makes it a bit more likely to happen...........

Anyone have a picture of this sort of heat damage on a Performer?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
Ramsfan, if you search for "crazing" you should be able to find something. The performers and maatertouches have this problem more often because they are more likely to come in colors. The gas assist and baskets also make it more likely to have extreme heat on one side.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
The whole banking coals causes crazing or blowouts scares me enough to always use the newest Weber baskets that are solid on the round side (7403) thus shielding the bowl from direct heat.  In theory, at least.
WTB 18 fruit

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
I don't segregate. I only have buddy and the wsm.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank