Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone use a ThermoPop?  (Read 2513 times)

toddmog

• WKC Brave
Anyone use a ThermoPop?
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
I got the email from ThermoWorks today that had the TimeStick sale as well as the ThermoPops.  I was just curious if anyone has used a ThermoPop and how they compare to the Thermapen.  Supposedly they read temps in 5-6 seconds and are on sale for $24.  Is the Thermapen that great that reading temps in 2-3 seconds is worth nearly 4x the price of the ThermoPop?
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Anyone use a ThermoPop?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
If you're on a budget, the thermopop will do just fine. I have both and they work equally well.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
If you're on a budget, the thermopop will do just fine. I have both and they work equally well.

I wouldn't say I'm on a budget...just cheap.  I'm thinking a TimeStick and ThermoPop for $47.99 shipped sounds nice.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Haha, nothing wrong with being cheap. Your combo sounds good to me! You can always get a thermapen later.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »
Is the Thermapen that great that reading temps in 2-3 seconds is worth nearly 4x the price of the ThermoPop?

Only the potential purchaser can answer that question.  The main differences between a thermopen and a thermopop

Thermopen is hand assembled and tested in England.  Thermopop is produced in China
Thermopen uses a K-type thermocouple design and circuit board.  Thermopop uses a thermistor design which is less expensive to produce
As a result of the design, Thermopen is faster (<3 seconds to 1 degree of accuracy) vs Thermopop ( <6 seconds to 2 degrees of accuracy).  Not a big difference to a home cook but a pretty big difference to a professional that is using the device to temp multiple batches/items.
Themopen can be recalibrated by the user, and has some settings that can be configured by the user.  The folding probe design is less likely to get banged up in a drawer or if the unit is dropped.

I am a big believer in using a temperature unit while cooking as it not only allows you to be safer by meeting minimum temperatures, but also allows you to know exactly what temp your food is at which I think makes for a better end result.

I like both units myself and have given thermopops to each of my daughters.  For the money, I think they are a great value. 

But then again, I have a serious thermoworks problem....

Winz

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:59:48 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:55 AM »

(Tee-Hee!!!) ^^^^^^^  Listen to this guy....he has a Thermoworks problem ... :o

By comparison, for Weber information / advice / reviews, who would know?

Just look to either your right or left.......anyone here would be a good pick....these folks all have a Weber Problem...... 8)

The Pop sounds like Taylor therms I've used before.....they were just fine....other folks that have them say so also!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"