Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is it blasphemy to...  (Read 6820 times)

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
Is it blasphemy to...
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
Add a thermometer to one of the older kettles?  I two B codes, an E, and a J.  One brownie and the rest redheads.
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Is it blasphemy to...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
it's all subjective :)

if you're adding a thermo to a westerner, yes - blasphemy.
if you're adding it to flawless red wood dale, yes, blasphemy

if you're adding it to a banged up vintage, colored or not - probably not blasphemy. Although you may catch some flack for it.

I'm planning on adding a thermo AND a lid bail to my 63 Red 26" - i just haven't found the time to do it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
I don't think it's a blasphemy. But as Troy said, just use your judgment. If it'll make you happy, and will be useful, by all means go for it!

One of my favorite mods is a vent rivet with a hole in it for a thermometer. Kudos to AZ_MIKEY for doing such a good job on his:

Here are a few more pics.

The rivet in the vent.

And a thermometer through it.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
I would say what Troy is doing is blasphemy, however his 26er is a little on the rough side and to keep it in the fight he's gonna add that stuff, otherwise I pretty much agree with what Troy said.  A classic grail in great shape maybe not the best thing to mod, I think the grills you mentioned are not too much of an offense....It's a personal thing too, I wouldn't do it myself, but I can understand people doing it.  I do like that rivet mod that is awesome....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »

My direct experience is the lid therms aren't as accurate as one right at the grate, so the rivet in the vent would be a good idea on several counts.....

no damage to the existing lid, it works the same or better as in the lid & with a bit longer stem, you're close to grate level anyway.......agreed not to chop up a nice older one...... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
lemisfits,

I suggest getting a thermoworks unit like the one below.  Several advantages - very accurate, multiple probes available, and most importantly, you don't need to modify your kettle to use it.  The cable is thin enough that you can run it between your lid and the bowl while you cook.  Just wrap the probe in foil, and place it directly on your grate.  You will be monitoring the exact temp of your food.  In the picture below, I have the probe inserted into the lid of my performer, but have used this unit on a normal OTS and OTG.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
Forget the dial thermometer in the lid. They're just not accurate and they're giving you the wrong temp.

You want to do digital (Maverick ET732) and the probe should be just above the grate about 2" from the food you are cooking.

Read this: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
I like Wins idea because it isn't permanent. If I really need a thermometer I just slide one through the top vent. As I go along I find myself using less and less accessories. No ash pan, no therm, not utensil hooks or lid bale. I will use a probe for the meat when I need one and that's about it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
I like Wins idea because it isn't permanent. If I really need a thermometer I just slide one through the top vent. As I go along I find myself using less and less accessories. No ash pan, no therm, not utensil hooks or lid bale. I will use a probe for the meat when I need one and that's about it.

"I find myself using less and less accessories."    

yep......I'm almost to the point where the kettle itself will not be nesscessary.....to cook a tri-tip with the power of the mind alone...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
yep......I'm almost to the point where the kettle itself will not be nesscessary.....to cook a tri-tip with the power of the mind alone...... 8)

I want to start trying some traditional (mexican) barbacoa methods.  A hole in the ground!   

A shovel, some coals, and a cow head = deliciousness.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
Bales are nice, but I really like just hanging the lid on the bowl.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »

"I find myself using less and less accessories."    

Do what works best for you. IMO, I wouldn't do it on vintage. I use lid temps. I have not checked them for accuracy. It works for me and I cook all meals, kettle or other. I cook by feel and look, don't own a fancy gadgets... But they are intriguing to say the least.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Forget the dial thermometer in the lid. They're just not accurate and they're giving you the wrong temp.

You want to do digital (Maverick ET732) and the probe should be just above the grate about 2" from the food you are cooking.

Read this: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html

The Maverick is a great investment.  I love having a probe at grate level and one for meat.  I haven't checked the thermometer in my new performer yet, but the one in my smoker runs almost 50* low.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »
As others have said, it's purely a judgement call. If you're happy with the end result, then who's to argue.

Can't go wrong with the Maverick wireless therms. Some individuals have had issues.
But, I have a ET-73, as well as the ET-732 and they have performed great.

I have only been cooking on a Weber kettle for the past 3 yrs.
I, like Duke, have been getting away from gadgets once I cooked more and more on the kettle.
Depending on my charcoal set-up, whether it be the snake, baskets, Minion method, etc, I like to know the temp.
So, I use a gadget ... initially. Once I have an idea of temperature in relation to the intake vent settings, then I toss the gadget aside.

I, too, believe that the dome temperature reading is quite different from grate level.
My go-to temperature reader is for meat only ... my Super-Fast-Orange Thermapen.

Ultimately, you do what you feel is best.

JM2¢

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »
I installed a lid bale and Weber lid thermometer/bezel on my black "OTS tinker toy" and I rarely rely on it alone. I use a long probe through the vent most of the time and my digital probe for my meat internal temps. 

I agree that mods of any kind are a "To each his own" sort of thing. Whatever works best for you and your kettles and most importantly what you like is what is the right thing to do.