Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Polishing aluminum  (Read 7653 times)

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
Polishing aluminum
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
I've been reading through many older posts in my effort to learn about cleaning/restoring an old kettle. Lots of terrific (and much appreciated!) information shared by very generous members. Maybe I've overlooked information that is already here someplace, and if so, my apologies. I'm looking for input about cleaning/polishing aluminum parts. What grit paper should I start with? Any liquids or compounds used? I remember someone mentioning using Mother's brand. How do you best apply this? I've seen a few awesome photos here of older kettles with ash catchers and pans, etc. that look nearly new. What must be done to get results like that? Thanks much.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Polishing aluminum
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
I've had great luck with SOS pads on legs, then using 0000 steel wool. After I polish with a rag using mothers mag and aluminum polish. Just wipe it on and then rub until the black color comes off. Same procedure for vents and ash pans. Some have great luck with powered polishers.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
AZ_MIKEY does a great job for mirror polish. He goes into more detail on this thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/polished-ash-ring/

Landgraftj's methods also works well to get that oxidation off and deepen the sheen.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
I'm a big believer in Simichrome. A little dab on a pad of 0000 steel wool, then buff with a cotton rag and you'll get a mirror-like shine with just a little effort. Seems to last a long time too - must add a layer of something protective.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
Oh, man! Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to find. AZ_MIKEY's pictures are awesome. Something to shoot for.
Dale

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »
I've had good luck with Mother's Mag polish and 0000 wool for the legs. I need to try that Simichrome this year. The shine it puts on Marty's vents is amazing!

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
Okay, I just realized that I could have saved myself (and all of you, too) a bit of time by using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Sorry about that. I'm using Search now and discovering even more great pictures and info in here. I can't seem to get enough! It's like an addiction. 
Dale

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
I just picked up a polishing wheel and some compound for my bench grinder.  I'll report back once I give it a shot.  I need to try the mother's mag stuff for the vents though. 
WTB 18 fruit

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
The shine it puts on Marty's vents is amazing!

Shine? What shine?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
Thanks for the new to me Simichrome. Is this what you used on the on your Red SS Performer to get the mirror like finish?
Or was it a combination of this and lots of elbow grease?

I'm a big believer in Simichrome. A little dab on a pad of 0000 steel wool, then buff with a cotton rag and you'll get a mirror-like shine with just a little effort. Seems to last a long time too - must add a layer of something protective.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
It's like an addiction.

Dale, it's not *like* an addiction, it is precisely and exactly an addiction.  Welcome to the club!  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Yep - it's my go-to-goo for chrome and 'luminum. I've even used it to polish lacquered wood - like the Koa barrette I made for my wife below. I use mostly Bar-keepers friend on stainless, (the powder) with the same 0000 wool and a little H2O, and that's what I used on the Performer. I was lucky with the table on the SS, it was pretty clean to begin with. The right lighting and camera angle helps too.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
Thanks Marty! I have two and one in the wings. I really like the shine! Mine seem to be grainy, but yours is like a mirror. I need to give my Red a good cleaning this spring. Cooking on it for on it three nights a week on average, it needs to be taken apart and of course replace the 7409... It is so locked in for temp management, it scares me to...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
Where can one obtain the Simichrome? Marty, that koa barrette came out really nice.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Amazon has it…some auto parts stores, but not many - Mothers has them wrapped up. You can order direct here:

http://www.simichrome-polish.com