Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to set up my new 22.5in kettle for rotisserie?  (Read 5975 times)

morghill

• Happy Cooker
How to set up my new 22.5in kettle for rotisserie?
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
New to the Weber experience,  I have a copper 22.5in Preformer. Got it for Christmas, now for my birthday I am getting a rotisserie kit for it. For my birthday dinner my boys want me to cook a "Epic Chicken" as they put it. So I need some suggestions on setting it up. How to set the coals/drip pan. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: How to set up my new 22.5in kettle for rotisserie?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
With the Roti you have multiple options. Putting the charcoal on the side will put it farther away reducing the radiant heat directly on the chicken. Putting the charcoal directly underneath gives you more char, at the risk of flareups. Putting a drip pan or foil pan underneath the chicken also keeps things clean.

I assume you have the baskets right? I would put the baskets on the side, pan in the middle and let 'er rip with the bottom vent 3/4 open. With chicken you want to hold higher temps to keep the skin crisp. Also tie the drumsticks in so they don't stick out and dry out. Check out this chicken cooking thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/pollo-ala-brassa-aka-'peruvian-chicken'/ lots of good advice there.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »
Have you actually purchased the Weber Rotisserie yet?  If not, give this a look.  You may find you'll like it better, and get a better seal.  The Weber spacer ring is notorious for having a poor fit to the kettle. 
http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/

There are many others on this site that have the Cajun Bandit.  Perhaps a few will chime in with their opinions!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

morghill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
I bought the cajun bandit one. Its here now. Still have to assemble it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
Gummi is right on...I do chickens on my roti a couple time of month and that is exactly how I do it and they turn out fantastic. Best chicken I have ever had. Put the baskets on each of the sides with either a drip pan or I just fold up some tin foil underneath the chicken to catch the drips. I usually light a full chimney of KB and dump it in the baskets, put the lid on and let her go. I actually leave all the vents open (top and bottom) and let it cook for an hour and it's usually perfect. I don't even tie the legs or anything. I usually start checking the temp on the breast about 45 minutes in and pull it when the breast hits 165 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes tented. Here is picture for reference. On this cook I used my fire bricks instead of the baskets and forgot the drip pan and tin foil DOH!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:29:56 PM by gunner »

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
i agree with Jeff. I like the CB rings. A lot better seal. I have the one that fits the kettle and wsm...love it.
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

shayneh2006

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
Hi there.

I use a deflector. Fire on one side, deflector above to cut down on the direct heat. Works well on meats that char quick.

Shayne

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
I do not have a Cajun Bandit ring to compare too, however, it is hard to imagine a tighter fit to a kettle than the new style Weber rotisserie ring. I think folks had fit issues with the older tab-styled Weber ring.
Uncommon sense seeker

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Same idea, different cut of yardbird --- 4 leg quarters, marinated for about an hour. I suppose I cooked them about an hour. Lid thermo ran anywhere from 400-450 (mostly 450?) depending on my nervousness about too much heat and resultant vent adjustment.

This image is when they're about 3/4 finished; they had quite a bit of blackened skin when I took them off. But we're not skin eaters usually. Chicken fell off the bone and away from the skin it was so tender and moist.

This was MY first rotisserie cook, today! The leg quarters, speared onto the spit, fit loosely and flopped around at first. I didn't feel as if cramming them altogether to prevent that from happening was a good idea however.

That's a Pyrex baking dish, I forget the size, but as you can see it fits nicely between the two charcoal holders and with a little air gap. Three 12 oz cans of Bush's vegetarian baked beans, catching the chicken drippings and yes they were so awesome (as was the chicken) this is the 2nd thread I've pictured them in ...

it is hard to imagine a tighter fit to a kettle than the new style Weber rotisserie ring. I think folks had fit issues with the older tab-styled Weber ring.

Ah, now I need an education. Didn't know there had *ever* been a design change. I bought mine used and the seller didn't say when he bought it and I didn't think to ask. It has tabs that sit on the kettle. And yet, as I was placing it there, initially couldn't get it to just plop on (like I imagined it would.) I had to carefully fit it inside the kettle lip. The fit was perfect, not too hard not too easy to do, and absolutely no leak I could detect?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
Does the roti set up make for a better bird than spatchcocking and cooking indirect?  I've done a whole bird, quarters, and most recently chicken legs indirectly.  Friday night I did 20 legs on two kettles.  10 with Yardbird rub and 10 with a six pepper blend from Sam's Club.  There were 3 left after 6 of us attacked them.  For ease of use with two boys (11 & 5) the chicken legs just seem to win out.  I'm not opposed to doing a whole bird, but it's certainly easier just to throw a leg or two on the plate for the boys instead of breaking down the whole bird.  Then again, I like toys and the CB roti set up seems interesting.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
Does the roti set up make for a better bird than spatchcocking and cooking indirect?

I can't definitively answer that. But we do know it's a different method, with its own benefits of even-heating and minimal attention needed, and those two attributes can indirectly contribute to a better cook.

... I'm not opposed to doing a whole bird, but it's certainly easier just to throw a leg or two on the plate for the boys instead of breaking down the whole bird. Then again, I like toys and the CB roti set up seems interesting.

I won't deny there's a toy aspect to the thing---and yes I'm guilty of being a gear head---but given what even a used one costs, you'd better believe I need it to work to earn its keep. My initial cook was very, very promising AND I now have the experience of heat used/time used to plug that into my memory bank for next time. Without a rotisserie, we're turning or tending to meat, there are other variables introduced regarding heat loss, positioning and so on and those circumstances should never be diminished.

I'm not saying what's better or even, what's better for me, other than I don't think the roti is a toy without serious benefit. There will times (like when it's raining, you don't want to fool with the contraption, etc.) when it's not going to be a consideration.

I'm not an experienced cook, and struggle getting chicken really, really right even indirect. If the rotisserie removes some of the need to be an expert, or even slows down my learning in other ways, I'm OK with that. If this gadget makes me look like a hero, so much the better.

But I don't want it to be relegated to poultry, and want to see what my options are for beef and pork with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »

"Without a rotisserie, we're turning or tending to meat"

......or, just slap 'em on & leave 'em the heck alone........

However, not  being one of the "Rotating People", maybe I should just shush & pay attention to those who do have a rotisserie & see what's up.......... ::)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
On the contrary! My overriding goal is to be confident enough to toss 'em and leave 'em, as you generously demonstrate. There are some fundamentals I'm still not getting, but I am getting closer and so I'll take solace in that. I've really only been into this the last year, and not very frequently at that.

Believe me when I tell you, 1Buckie, that with all the variables I had in play yesterday for my cook, that I was channeling you for inspiration and guidance for some of the when-and-how-and-why. Thanks for the assist!

It continually amazes me how the "ever versatile / reigned supreme" kettle is insanely flexible and literally open to a variety of available cook methods. Any one of us should be able to get to the point where we're thrown some bizarre circumstance, step back and say, "Yeah, I think we can still pull this together."

Oh -- and thanks also for my new sig.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

" Any one of us should be able to get to the point where we're thrown some bizarre circumstance, step back and say, "Yeah, I think we can still pull this together."

Precisely why I continue to help & learn & attempt to pay attention here..............

.....with a Weber, anyone can hit a home run......I've seen it way too many times to discount that fact......

Especially with people who are new at it!!!!!

The Stages of Learning:

Unconscious incompetence......I don't know that I don't know.

Conscious incompetence......I KNOW that I don't know.

Conscious competence......I know that I know, but still have to pause & think about it.

Unconscious competence......I just KNOW, and don't have to think about it.
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 05:32:17 AM »
I use my roti a lot.

I say don't just put a drip pan down, put some veg in there.

I'm still working out how small to cut the veg up so they cook as fast as the chicken. These were too big.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com