Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to set up my new 22.5in kettle for rotisserie?  (Read 5976 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How to set up my new 22.5in kettle for rotisserie?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »

I'm still working out how small to cut the veg up so they cook as fast as the chicken. These were too big.

Is it possible to use the cooking grate with the rotisserie? It would raise the veggie pan up, exposing it to more heat, yes?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 06:35:47 AM »
Public Food Safety Announcement:

Was going to say, for the folks rotating raw poultry over other food, take care to heat up the lower pan some  at the start, as poultry drippings can be dangerous if left at too low of heat while cooking!

Maybe check in the Weber Grilling books & see what they say about it.....I know people who would screech pretty loud at the sight of chicken starting over any other food..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »
I support buckies statement.  (and TBH not just for poultry.  Make sure any cooking meat juices are properly heated if used as a flavoring in this way)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

Most likely it will be OK, because the veg or bean pan is right next to the coals & heats pretty good & high, but to be safe, I would put in the pan & let it cook & come up to a goodly heat before adding the chicken over it.......

Here's a few discussions on it from the 'Ring:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66298&highlight=chicken+safety

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55488&highlight=chicken+safety

And a third one, explaining how it can also be OK............

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49397&highlight=chicken+safety

The real problem would occur when cooking something for a time & when it's about to come off, then having raw chicken drip over it & the heated surface of the other meat makes the bad bugs take off like a rocket..........or the other meat or food being served too soon after taking on the raw juice........

Just use common sense, I'd hate to see anyone get sick............

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
I got the idea here, probably from seeing a few of your threads 1buckie, so forgive if I misunderstood. In my case, the beans (room temp) went on about 5 mins before the chicken (straight from fridge--next time I'll let them warm up some first). Beans had been bubbling hot for quite a while during the hot cook.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »

Cool, just that chicken juice is different than most other juices.......when I do pork or beef over beans, it's been cooking for a good 2-1/2 to 3 hours before the beans go in & it becomes a different situation...........

Just take care with the cooking sequence & use your head......you'll be fine......

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
I never considered the juices causing problems. I think putting the veg tray in early would also solve my under done veggies.

I fist decided to try this after seeing the guys on "The Chew" cook chicken, suspended by twine, in front of a fireplace, dripping into a pan if veggies.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Sorry to bump an older thread, but does anyone know how long it takes Cajun Bandit to get items back in stock?  My wife was watching Triple D and saw them making rotisserie chickens.  She said we should get one in the near future.  I proposed that we should make our own but CB shows their kit out of stock.  I guess I could always go with the Weber kit, but it seems like the CB kit is the way to go.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere