Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cut slot in Weber Kettle?  (Read 6651 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Cut slot in Weber Kettle?
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:56:15 AM »
This may be considered sacrilege by some, but I'm thinking of cutting a small slot in the bowl of my "cooker" 22" kettle for therm probe slots like B-Man did to his WSM in this post:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wsm-cb-22-5-inch-stainless-steel-high-air-flow-coal-ring/

I've done this mod to the 18" WSM and love it.  It's a tiny slot, so it doesn't affect the performance of the cooker at all.  Is there any reason it wouldn't work on a kettle as well?  I can't see why not, just wanted to confirm before jumping into it.

Thanks!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cut slot in Weber Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56:36 AM »
Do it. Do the 26r while you have the grinder out.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:43:42 AM »
Let us know how it goes. I would be concerned about compromising the structural integrity of the bowl, though I suppose it would still be strong enough. I've got a good supply of those little brass grommets so should I feel the urge to put a thermometer in any of my kettles, I'll go that route.
kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
I recently put one in my 18" WSM also.  Matches the 22 & mini.  I haven't needed probes in the 26'er, but if I did - you can bet I'd whip the grinder out.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
I run my probes through the bottom vents like the guy in this video for indirect cooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkqZ0tes6HI
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »
This may be considered sacrilege by some, but I'm thinking of cutting a small slot in the bowl of my "cooker" 22" kettle for therm probe slots like B-Man did to his WSM in this post:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wsm-cb-22-5-inch-stainless-steel-high-air-flow-coal-ring/

I've done this mod to the 18" WSM and love it.  It's a tiny slot, so it doesn't affect the performance of the cooker at all.  Is there any reason it wouldn't work on a kettle as well?  I can't see why not, just wanted to confirm before jumping into it.

Thanks!

I checked with Webber about making modifications to the original equipment in order to accommodate after-market accessories.  I was told that any such modification would void the warranty.  Having said that, I didn't make any modification to my kettle, opting instead to run the wire under the lid, and deal with any air leakage that may result.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
I checked with Weber about making modifications to the original equipment in order to accommodate after-market accessories.  I was told that any such modification would void the warranty.  Having said that, I didn't make any modification to my kettle, opting instead to run the wire under the lid, and deal with any air leakage that may result.

Good point, I never thought about that...

I wonder if that includes sandblasting an SJ and painting it RED?   LOL    ;D
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »
If your cooker isn't something "collectible" then cut a hole in it. Warranty my foot!

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:55:37 AM »
MINI:  I agree with you, actually.  But I'm a geek when it comes to warranties and instruction manuals and the like.  Maybe one day, I'll jump into the fast lane and do something like that.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »
Ok. I feel ya. My brick red OTP that I paid just a bit under retail for at a store will be saved from going under the knife. But the black kettles I got on the cheap from Craigslist are just waiting for mods. If I mess up on a OTS I picked up for $5-10 than so be it. I will take that knowledge to the next kettle and do something different and better.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
I hardly thought twice about cutting/drilling into my WSM, but couldn't imagine doing the same to any kettles.  I guess I'm weird that way. 
One of the charcoal people.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:46 PM »
I was on the fence for a while about drilling into Buddy's lid to add a thermo. Then I realized that it was built to cook and adding a thermo only makes it better at what it was made to do. So I drilled. After cooking w/and w/o the thermo, gotta say, I'm glad I drilled.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
For those of you who run the wires under the lid, have you had any probes go out on your because of that?  I drilled into my old Happy Cooker with no care in the world but it's on it's last leg and have been on the fence about drilling into any of my Webers. 
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
For those of you who run the wires under the lid, have you had any probes go out on your because of that?  I drilled into my old Happy Cooker with no care in the world but it's on it's last leg and have been on the fence about drilling into any of my Webers.

on my WSM, I've done wires under the lid twice using a clearance shelf thermo from walmart. didn't have an issue either time.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
I drilled and put in a thermometer my Kettle.
I found that cooking before the thermometer was like driving a car with a blindfold on. Don't wait
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker