Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow Kettle restore finished?...newbie problems. (Pic heavy)  (Read 7563 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow Kettle restore finished?...newbie problems. (Pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 06:12:17 AM »
Great job! Your efforts paid off.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys, it felt really great to be finished and finally show off some pictures.  I think I will get this thing clean and then try OoPezoO and/or Jeff's advice on the battle scars when it warms up in the spring.  Right now it feels like I just crossed the finish line in a marathon only to be told I false started and will have to do the first half over.  I'll get a picture of the grill now that that it has cooled off so you can see how bad the oil burned.

I actually purchased VHT Flame Proof yellow paint and sprayed the areas under the vents and the battle scar on the bowl (see picture with slide aside) but it was SO much lighter, it didn't really match at all.  Looked like it would be better for maybe a Homer.  If following Jeff's advice, think I should just go ahead and repaint with my yellow or do the black paint like Jeff recommends?
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »
That's a nice looking grill. Good work.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys, it felt really great to be finished and finally show off some pictures.  I think I will get this thing clean and then try OoPezoO and/or Jeff's advice on the battle scars when it warms up in the spring.  Right now it feels like I just crossed the finish line in a marathon only to be told I false started and will have to do the first half over.  I'll get a picture of the grill now that that it has cooled off so you can see how bad the oil burned.

I actually purchased VHT Flame Proof yellow paint and sprayed the areas under the vents and the battle scar on the bowl (see picture with slide aside) but it was SO much lighter, it didn't really match at all.  Looked like it would be better for maybe a Homer.  If following Jeff's advice, think I should just go ahead and repaint with my yellow or do the black paint like Jeff recommends?

I've got a couple yellow grills I've worked with on the chips.  There is NO yellow paint that I've found to be an exact match.  I've tried about 10 different ones.  As far as any high temp yellows...none exist for that shade that are close unfortunately.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
Great job! That is an awesome grill and great restore....

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Gotta love when an old grill comes back to life - great restore LB.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Yellow Kettle restore finished?...newbie problems. (Pic heavy)
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Well here is the grill - post "burn-off" although it was probably more of a "burn-on".  I don't think this will be too much a problem to get cleaned up, some of it was wiping off with my finger alone.  Pretty wicked looking but I can't wait to get it back to where I had it.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:14:48 PM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
Where's that "ugly kettle" thread when you need it... :o

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »
Where's that "ugly kettle" thread when you need it... :o

Won't need it anymore after this weekend!  8)

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
First set of pics look great low brass.  Nice ashpan too, I gotta get one for my yeller.   :)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
First set of pics look great low brass.  Nice ashpan too, I gotta get one for my yeller.   :)

Thanks MaxBobcat, I about lost it when I saw that canola running down the side.  All that hard work for nothing it seemed like.  Can't wait to get it back to its brief glory!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 02:24:58 AM »
Lowbrass-
If that were mine, I would just spray it down with a degreaser, and let it soak for awhile, then follow up with a steel-wool scrub.  You'll have it looking great in no time.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
So you sprayed it with Canola?  Is that what burned all over it?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »
Yeah, canola.  I guess I figured it would bake on and basically clear coat the thing, like I said, newbie mistake.  Unfortunately, when I hit it with some Simple Green Grill Cleaner tonight it didn't really want to come off.  I packed it up and put it away for the winter.  It is supposed to get really cold here in St. Louis tonight and I was trying to beat the weather.  Hopefully degreaser or oven cleaner will do the trick in the late winter/early spring, otherwise this is going to require as much elbow grease if not more than getting the original black paint off.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
Lowbrass, I'd tackle it sooner than later, weather be damned.  get some easy off on there and let it sit a day.  I am not a fan of using pam and etc on kettles.