Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Ribs on the Red  (Read 1284 times)

gunner

• WKC Brave
Beef Ribs on the Red
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
I wanted to break in my new red MBH, so I decided to do some beef ribs. Beef ribs are pretty hard to come by in the Chicagoland Area (at least with any meat on them) so whenever we go to Michigan to visit my Mother-In-Law, I always bring back a rack or two and throw them in the freezer for future use. I dry rubbed the ribs overnight in Kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, black pepper and turbinado sugar, then slathered in yellow mustard. Sorry no pic of the ribs before they went on, I deleted it on accident.

I had to setup in the garage because it was supposed to dump, which it did. This was the day the tornado came through Illinois.

I used the snake method for this cook with KB and some Red Oak chunks. Also the first time using my new Weber Rapid Fire chimney starter.

Ribs are on, and it's starting to dump...you can't tell but it was coming down sideways..you can see the water in the ash pan...

I got her dialed in to around 240-250 degrees...she is chugging along great.

This is about 3 hours in....

Here they are off after about 4 hours-ish

Here they are plated up with some homemade au gratin potatoes and broccoli.

They were super tasty. I think they could have used a half hour or 45 minutes more on the grill....they were a bit fatty still and could have used some more time to render down, but it's tough to tell with beef ribs sometimes. Overall a successful first cook on the red despite the wicked storm!

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Beef Ribs on the Red
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »
Great job, those ribs look great! Did you foil at all?

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
No I didn't use any foil....I tend to not use foil on ribs (beef or pork) unless I am in a time crunch. I can usually get the same results not foiling so I just skip it.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
Those ribs look great and I agree with the difficulty finding them 'round here with any meat on them. (*) Where in MI did you get those? I make it to Auburn Hills a couple times a year to visit my son.

(*) I did get some decent ones at Wheaton Meats and want to try Jasper Meats too.
kettles, smokers...