Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What type of fuel do you prefer?  (Read 13186 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
What type of fuel do you prefer?
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:31:07 AM »
Like I mentioned in my intro thread, I've been out of charcoal grilling for a long time. What does everyone prefer? Charcoal briquettes, hardwood lump coal? Is there any other options?

What are you prefered starting methods? I'm guessing most people use a chimney. What about Webers firestarter cubes? They have great reviews but what do you all think?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: What type of fuel do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »
I use a chimney with Weber starter cubes, when I'm not using the gas assist on my Performer.  The cubes work great and you don't have all the ash from paper flying around your yard.   

I prefer hardwood lump, but can't argue with the cost and consistency of Kingsford Blue.  However, the K-blue produces a lot of ash and does not smell as good as lump when firing. 

I use to use only lump, then switched to K-blue because of massive discounts.  Now I am leaning more towards lump once I burn up all the k-blue.  Probably still use k-blue for quick cooks like burgers or dogs.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
I have always used good ol' kingsford..... But I'm kind of a traditional gal.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
I use Kingsford or Mesquite lump because they are cheap and readily available. At home I use a weed burner to start my fire and when we are out camping I use the Weber fire starter cubes, sometime in a chimney or just fill the grill and place the cubes on top of the charcoal.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Is it better to put the fire starter cubes on top of the charcoal or underneath it?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
Actually its better to use a chimney but I usually forget it. When I fill the grill and use the cubes I kind of bury a couple of them under some briquets.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
Starter cubes are wonderful, no mess and easy startup. Have only used Stubbs, love it.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
in my grills, i use coshell extruded coconut shell charcoal or royal oak lump.

in my smoker, i use kingsford blue for the first stage, then finish with coshell or lump.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
for lighting, i use the gas assist on my performer.

when i light my smoker, i use homemade starters made with paraffin, dryer lint, and empty egg cartons.

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
chimney starter with a few pieces of newspaper and Kingsford briquettes.  Pretty easy, and the food tastes great.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
I use the gas assist to light the paper in the chimney, which means it's only on for about 10 seconds... guess I'm cheap :-[  BUT, the same small tank is still going after three years  :P I also like the K Blue, not so fond of all the ash though.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:16:09 AM »
I use the side burner on my Genesis and a Weber chimney to light. I prefer B&B oak lump and Stubbs but often can only afford Kingsford 

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:20:19 AM »
Speaking of all the ash, you guys know you can sprinkle it on your lawns or throw it in the compost pile, right?  assuming it is completely cooled down of course.  Too much each year is bad, and it does depend on your soil type, but most lawns will benefit.  if you ever use lime on your soil, you will benefit.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »
I usually use Kingsford (I guess it is called blue, it is the regular kingsford) and I like to mix it with some Stubbs charcoal. If I could afford it I would probably use only Stubbs. I also add 1 small stick of apple, hickory or maple wood (depending on what I'm cooking) right before I add the food.  I start it with a chimney starter with 2 pieces of newspaper most of the time.  Occasionally I use lighter fluid on a pyramid stack of charcoal. It brings back the '70's when I was a kid and my dad would grill out. Just the smell of the lighter fluid lighting the charcoal brings back memories.
I use lump to smoke with where I control air more as lump burns too hot for me on my grill because I grill direct when I grill.  I don't use indirect much at all unless I am smoking. 
I don't use wood chips or chunks much unless it is mesquite. I can get apple, hickory, oak, maple and pecan all for free where I live, but mesquite does not grow around here so I have to buy it.
I also have some Royal Oak charcoal and I like it.  But I try to stock up on the kingsford every year when they put it on sale. This year they had 2 20 LB bags for $9.99.  I got the last 2 bag pack they had. ( I was late!) >:(
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

bamboleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I mix it up.  Rarely use K.  When I do use briquettes, usually stubs or lazzari.  I like lazzari lump.  Get a 40lb bag from BevMo lasts quite awhile.

Chimney starter for me.