Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Project: Warrior  (Read 8585 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Project: Warrior
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Well, 2 weeks ago I accquired a 22.5 brown kettle from ebay. Some have seen it in the "What are these" thread over in the 'trading post'. That was before the kettle was given a bath and polish. Last week I finally got to go to work on it. I decided that the front leg socket being bent inward was bothering the hell out of me so I pounded it back into place...VERY CAREFULLY! I used Mother's Mag polish on the legs and the ash pan. Everything on this guy is original minus the wheels. The hubcaps however are from the original wheels. They are slightly different than the modern ones, so I was able to re-use them. I tried to transfer the whitewalls from these new wheels to the originals but they didnt fit right. So here it is, from the model year 1978 (best guess based on vent style), The 22.5" Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Copper Mist....a.k.a.....THE WARRIOR!

As it was when i got it. It really wasn't bad, but it was going to get the treatment.

Before straightening, but with new wheels. Yeah, I wasn't having it like this!

Disassembly, socket straightening, cleanup, and rebuild. Some porcelain had been missing near the bent leg socket prior to straightening.

Here's the inside of the bowl all cleaned up. Thats not rust in there. It's Copper Mist overspray. Kind of splattered inside the bowl in spots.

Here's a close up of the vent. Raised Weber logo, no date stamp/letter.

All cleaned up and standing straight and covered in a new 1984 vintage cover acquired earlier this year.

All this kettle needs now is a brand new period correct wood handle and it will be 100% rechristened! I bet i know how I can get one of those!  ;)

Craig
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:05:56 AM by husker_red »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Project: Warrior
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Awesome Craig, the cover really makes it too!  Really sweet.  Did you get the cover with the grill?  I do agree about the handle  ;) Just let me know.  Really really nice.....I'm glad I have a pretty nice warrior myself or I would be really jealous!  Mine is a little newer though, the metal bowl handles and three daisy vents make it even more sweeter, mine just has the one touch.   Oh and don't let Jeff poo poo it either, he doesn't like warriors.  I say phooey on him!   ;D

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Thanks, Brian! I'll be in touch! I actually got the cover back in May for my redhead, but it now belongs to the Warrior. The redhead (Statesman) has a modern cover. Isn't your 'Chocolate an '83? I thought Jeff's 'Sequoia was "Warrior Brown".  ???

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »
Yea Mine's a 83', Jeff complain's about his sequoia. :D I bet he'd trade it in a second for a red one, or a lime one.  You know he's a little eccentric....  Not as bad as AJ but for sure eccentric.   Send me a note I'll make you a good deal on a couple of two rivet handles, looks like you might need one on that 18" redhead.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
Craig....FYI, I think your Warrior looks great! And I don't think its much of a secret, but the copper mist isn't one of my favorites, but I'd take one over a black grill any day of the week!!  :)  And Brian is right about my Sequoia...if another color came along in nice shape...
I just sold my 79 Warrior to Terry (Landgraftj).  It wasn't quite as nice as yours...but it has a new home with him!   Hows it doing Terry?

You did a great job on the grill!  VERY clean and new looking.  The cover is a nice touch!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:43 AM »
Sweet grill Husker! @Jeff-I'll get some pics up for ya, she's doing well. Got her cleaned up and she's ready to go.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:23 AM »
i like it! it looks great

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »
I love it, i may have to find one myself ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
Sweet grill Husker! @Jeff-I'll get some pics up for ya, she's doing well. Got her cleaned up and she's ready to go.

I'd like to see some pics of your '79 Warrior!  :)

Craig

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
Craig....FYI, I think your Warrior looks great! And I don't think its much of a secret, but the copper mist isn't one of my favorites, but I'd take one over a black grill any day of the week!!  :)  And Brian is right about my Sequoia...if another color came along in nice shape...
I just sold my 79 Warrior to Terry (Landgraftj).  It wasn't quite as nice as yours...but it has a new home with him!   Hows it doing Terry?

You did a great job on the grill!  VERY clean and new looking.  The cover is a nice touch!

Thanks, Jeff!, if you ever get your red or avocado 'Sequoia and want to get rid of the Copper Mist one............... ;D

Craig

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
yeah for sure...IF I ever come across another Sequoia in the condition of mine (yeah right), the copper mist one is certainly for sale!  :)
Kettle collector AND cooker!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »

I'd like to see some pics of your '79 Warrior!  :)

Craig

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow guys.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:48 AM »
Husker, What kind of polish did you use to make that shine like a show car?

Greg

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
that cover is so sweet!
One of the charcoal people.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
Husker still want to know what polish you used...I just purchased an pre-79 red head and need some help.
Your 4th pic shows are leg holder with the porcelain missing. The one I just purchased has rust through around the edge of the leg holder. Help from anybody, would JB weld from the inside of the Kettle to seal work?  Legs still hold, but want to prevent further damage. It will never be a show Kettle, but it will be alive!

Greg